First thread -- Is winter rye a good mix with radish?

Hideaway Acres

Yearling... With promise
Hello all,
my first thread on this fine forum. I am retired military with 30 years active duty and 58 years old. I have 44 acres in northwest Florida about 10 minutes south of the Alabama line, and I call it Hideaway Acres.

I have a one acre food plot that I will lime & fertilize in accordance with the soil test I had done. This will be accomplished by Sept 10th or so.

This spring I got a clearance deal on three 2 pound bags of Biologic Deer Radish. Recommended rate is 8 pounds per acre. I thought it might be good to add something to it. Would 5 or 10 pounds of winter rye be compatible and work OK? Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Rye will work just fine with radish and just about any other brassica. It also wouldn't hurt to put a few pounds of Durana white clover in with it as well. That far south you could throw in some oats as well, but I like rye for the allelopathic properties vs oats or wheat.

First of all thanks for your service! Radishes and rye are a good mix, I add them to my LC cereal grain mix every year. like Whip said I would add some clover to it also, fall planted rye is probably the easiest to get clover established. Good Luck!

Thanks guys. Good advice. And I'm enjoying looking around this forum already. Lots of valuable info to absorb. Cheers, Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Our standard fall planting is 50# each of rye and oats, 5 pounds of radish and 10-12 pounds of a 3 way clover mix with Crimson, arrow leaf and medium red. That is a per acre rate.

Being down here in the south and only having that one acre to plant on....I'd make the base of your mix be cereal grains. I like Btaylor's mix.

Thanks. I didn't realize it would be ok to plant that heavy. Good info to know. Cheers, Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whip - Do you plant the rye and brassicas at the same time, or let the rye get going & then seed brassicas into it ??

Agree with oats and rye mix in Northern Florida. The rye will suppress weeds and feed right into spring and the oats will feed them until you get several 20 degree nights. Disc up your plot, plant the oats and rye and cultipack and then sow your radishes and cultipack again. My avatar PIC is a 300 yard lane with rye, oats and brassicas that were sowed the first of September and the PIC was taken 9/28/15. Good Luck.

Whip - Do you plant the rye and brassicas at the same time, or let the rye get going & then seed brassicas into it ??

I have done it both ways, and a lot depends on if I am planting into standing rye or not. We would wait to seed the brassicas when the rye was mature and had set seed, that way we could roll it over the newly seeded brassicas. Many times, due to early dry conditions on our sand, we did not feel it was in our best interest to terminate the rye, as it held moisture in the form of dew each morning that we would have lost otherwise, and we always welcomed the free seed when it was rolled over the brassicas. Other years we would lightly disc the rye in late May and then seed buckwheat. When the BW was almost mature but had not set seed yet, we would spread both rye and a mix of PPT/GFR/DER into the standing BW and then mow it down over the new seed to cover it with a layer of thatch to help hold moisture. Other years, if we ended up planting a bit later, we let the BW set seed and did the same thing and had some additional BW until mid-Sept when the first few frosts would kill it, then the brassica and rye would take up the slack. Many ways to do it, none are really wrong, you really have to try it different ways to see what works best and it also depends on if you have certain situations which would favor one method over the other due to the rotation you are coming out of or moving into.

WR is my go to seed. You can plant it any way you want, any amount you want, and any time you want. It really is impossible to mess up. I have planted it from June to October and had it grow. I overseed it into all my plots.