First Grouse Hunt of the Year

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
While the youngest boy was out west the oldest son and I packed up the truck and the dogs and headed north for our own little adventure. We left last Thursday afternoon and got back home Sunday night with a whole lot of fun in between.
This was the earliest in the season we have ever gone grouse hunting, the ferns were still waist high and leaves were still hanging making it really tough to see anything. It was the first time for either one of our dogs grouse hunting and it was my sons female GSP Lou's first time hunting wild birds ever.
LOTS of birds around with plenty of flushes but if we saw them at all it was only for a second in the thick early fall cover...as soon as we managed to scratch a bird down and the dogs got a good snort of a real one it was on! They did great for the conditions and when they got "birdy" we went on high alert...a few times over the weekend they flushed little coveys of them out of blown down tops.
We got a little shooting and the dogs put in a lot of work loving every second of it and we will have some good eating. We also found a few more spots to ad to our honey hole list and met a few of the nicest locals I could ever want to run into...looking forward to heading back next month.
Being out in the north woods with all the beautiful scenery and the damp smell of mixed conifers and aspen with the leaves just starting to turn watching the dogs do what they were born to do was just about perfect.
My favorite part of the whole trip was spending the time with my oldest son who I don't get to see near enough...it was a long drive up and back, we never even turned the radio on once!

55TpHSj.jpg

V3BXieq.jpg

t0ZjzKM.jpg

lrWfAfF.jpg

cgovL4k.jpg

And a well deserved smooch...

FF6hhX7.jpg

Sounds like an amazing experience. That's the kind of thing I'm looking forward to in my future.

Great looking dogs!

Sounds like an amazing experience. That's the kind of thing I'm looking forward to in my future.

Hey, if your going to be around your parents house late fall early winter let’s see if we can get together for some ducks&geese.

What part of the world was it? I fish in Ontario near the boundary waters and hear a lot of grouse drumming.

Looks like a blast with the pups! I never have really grouse hunted and im only an hour at most from decent grouse areas. Maybe now with my new little bird monster ill have to try!

Great story and great pics. I could almost smell the North woods reading your write up.

Love the GSPs

Very cool. I saw 2 coveys on our property in western NC this summer. Surprised me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk