All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First apple trees of the year are in

Cool:cool: Looks like everyone was enjoying a day outside including the lab!

Don't know who is going to sleep better, me or the two labs! They were out all day with us. Only got the one in the picture, the other was running around non stop.

Glad I got all the trees in yesterday. Good rains today and tonight they are calling for 3-6 inches of snow. Plenty of good moisture!

Look like some good sized trees!

What size mesh is the hardware cloth around the trunks?
Not sure what you mean, but the window screen is around 4" diameter and the weed mat is from John at Bigrocks.
image.jpg

The scr
Ok, pics didn't look like window screen on my 'puter

The screens are the kind SLN uses. They were actually pretty cheap and come precut. They are stronger than mesh and easy to use. Almost seem like a heavy gage aluminum mesh. I just ordered 20 of them when I ordered my trees.

It looks like 1/2" hardware cloth to me too, Stu. I built a rabbit hutch with it on the floor for droppings to fall thru. I go with alum. screen.

It's 1/2", I thought since thats what SLN uses I would be okay. Should I be worried about it?

Here's a few pics of the trees planted a few weeks back. I had 8 trees from SLN two types of late hanging. 4 of the 8 are waking up and popping leaves, the other 4 show nothing yet.. Is this typical for a late hanging crab or is there a chance there dead?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

All the rest of mine do as well. They are either winter wildlife crabs or viola hanging crabs. They were planted the day after they arrived. Just wondering if late hanging fruit trees come alive later than say a dolgo or Whitney.

All the rest of mine do as well. They are either winter wildlife crabs or viola hanging crabs. They were planted the day after they arrived. Just wondering if late hanging fruit trees come alive later than say a dolgo or Whitney.

The one tree I have from SNL that shows no sign of life is a viola crab. That and half of my hazel nuts

They were planted around 4-5 weeks ago. They said nothing about sweating them. I think these 4 are the violas as well. I'll verify this weekend when I'm up. The tags are on the cages.

They were in a bucket of water for about 30 minutes before planting. It then rained about a inch that night as well.

We've had consistent rain, so maybe there is hope still for them.

Here's a few pics of the trees planted a few weeks back. I had 8 trees from SLN two types of late hanging. 4 of the 8 are waking up and popping leaves, the other 4 show nothing yet.. Is this typical for a late hanging crab or is there a chance there dead?
View attachment 5090 View attachment 5092 View attachment 5091
Those are great trees compared to what I got from SLN last year.
My violi's was the last apple from SLN to wake up last year. It has a slow start again this spring, but it survived.

View attachment 5090 View attachment 5092 View attachment 5091

The trees arrived from SLN that large? I think all the trees in your pictures are 50% larger than any tree I've received from SLN. The trees I've received from them are typically cut back pretty severely so they fit in the packaging materials. The pruning doesn't seem to hurt them long term though. I have one tree from SLN that arrived this spring that hasn't grown any leaves yet, but I checked it last night and it looks like the buds are starting to swell. We've had consistent rain since the trees were planted, so I'm sure they will all be fine. I've never pre-soaked any of my fruit trees and haven't had any issues. That's not to say that presoaking them isn't a good idea, I've just never done it.

The trees arrived from SLN that large? I think all the trees in your pictures are 50% larger than any tree I've received from SLN. The trees I've received from them are typically cut back pretty severely so they fit in the packaging materials. The pruning doesn't seem to hurt them long term though. I have one tree from SLN that arrived this spring that hasn't grown any leaves yet, but I checked it last night and it looks like the buds are starting to swell. We've had consistent rain since the trees were planted, so I'm sure they will all be fine. I've never pre-soaked any of my fruit trees and haven't had any issues. That's not to say that presoaking them isn't a good idea, I've just never done it.
The trees in the pictures are from Wallace Woodstock Nursery, the ones from SLN are just whips. Sorry for the confusion.

The trees in the pictures are from Wallace Woodstock Nursery, the ones from SLN are just whips. Sorry for the confusion.

Those are nice looking trees. I've had good luck with trees from Wallace Woodstock Nursery, but a few years back I switched to SLN because I like the standard rootstock. I need to put some white paint on the trunks though since I noticed some damage this spring that I think is SW winter injury on the trunk. Ever have any winter injury damage on your trees?

I had a few 2-5 year old trees die the past couple years and I'm hoping that white paint helps a little.

Those are nice looking trees. I've had good luck with trees from Wallace Woodstock Nursery, but a few years back I switched to SLN because I like the standard rootstock. I need to put some white paint on the trunks though since I noticed some damage this spring that I think is SW winter injury on the trunk. Ever have any winter injury damage on your trees?

I had a few 2-5 year old trees die the past couple years and I'm hoping that white paint helps a little.

I haven't lost any yet. I have 6 from Wallace from two yes ago and they all flowered this year. I put 12 more in this year from them and 8 from SLN.