Fireblight?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
I'm about ready to give up on pears. That is just what they nursery man said that sold them to me 4 years ago. Is this fireblight?

Poor picture, I know.IMG_8683.JPG

I pruned that tree back two years ago because of it.

I seem to remember just a few blooms on it this spring.

what type or pear art?

Bur - For what it's worth, I have a Redspire pear in my yard and it has gotten fireblight several times over the last 10 years. Though it's not an " eating pear ", it's still a pear tree. It has had blight on several limbs in wet years and it's still doing fine. It has some on it now, in fact. Shepard's hook on the end shoots is what identifies it. I HAVE pruned out some limbs in years when it's bad, disinfecting the shears between cuts with bleach & water mixture. But most years when it occurs, the few shoots that get it just die back & the tree puts on new growth the next year. Never had it bad enough to kill the tree. Good luck with it.

I'm about ready to give up on pears. That is just what they nursery man said that sold them to me 4 years ago. Is this fireblight?

Poor picture, I know.View attachment 850

I have a Kieffer Pear and a Seckel Pear. The Kieffer gets bad FB just about every year. The tree looks terrible right now, probably going to cut it down this year. The Seckel, on the other hand, is only 20 feet from the Kieffer, was planted the same day in 2007, and has never had the first hint of FB at all. So, maybe you should try a Seckel. Seckel pears are small, but if you let them get just slightly soft, they are oh so deliciously sweet.

I have a Kieffer Pear and a Seckel Pear. The Kieffer gets bad FB just about every year. The tree looks terrible right now, probably going to cut it down this year. The Seckel, on the other hand, is only 20 feet from the Kieffer, was planted the same day in 2007, and has never had the first hint of FB at all. So, maybe you should try a Seckel. Seckel pears are small, but if you let them get just slightly soft, they are oh so deliciously sweet.
Are they zone 4 hardy? I am on the edge of zone 3.