Fimco sprayer’s major design flaw and how to fix it

Wintomatic

5 year old buck +
I bought a fimco sprayer and was having problems with the screen plugging up frequently. I do have a sand point well that lets some small particulate matter through. I tried putting an inline filter between the spigot and hose which helped a lot and I highly recommend using one for filling all sprayers.
But I was still having problems with that tiny little hose screen plugging up. They just use a cheap in line garden hose shutoff valve (that decreases the internal diameter of the line to the pump) with a tiny fine mesh screen. Nothing will burn your pump out faster than restricting flow to the intake!
I replaced the shutoff with this inline filter And hose end pieces from Fleet Farm, for about $25 total.
It is unbelievable how much more pump flow and pressure I get now! I have put 3 full 2 1/2 gallon jugs of roundup through that sprayer since putting that filter on and have never had an issue since. I’m not sure how many tankfulls that makes but its a lot.
523F934D-286B-4382-9536-19213A8A7707.jpegAC3BE22F-718A-45B6-9730-2143BA33407D.jpeg

I bought a fimco sprayer and was having problems with the screen plugging up frequently. I do have a sand point well that lets some small particulate matter through. I tried putting an inline filter between the spigot and hose which helped a lot and I highly recommend using one for filling all sprayers.
But I was still having problems with that tiny little hose screen plugging up. They just use a cheap in line garden hose shutoff valve (that decreases the internal diameter of the line to the pump) with a tiny fine mesh screen. Nothing will burn your pump out faster than restricting flow to the intake!
I replaced the shutoff with this inline filter And hose end pieces from Fleet Farm, for about $25 total.
It is unbelievable how much more pump flow and pressure I get now! I have put 3 full 2 1/2 gallon jugs of roundup through that sprayer since putting that filter on and have never had an issue since. I’m not sure how many tankfulls that makes but its a lot.
View attachment 21362View attachment 21361
Oh and I also put ball valves on the boom so you can spray 4’ , 8’, or 12’ wide. It is so nice to be able to shut off the outside booms and fold them in. it sprays the center 4’ with no issues 2B48FC77-2FB4-48EE-873B-3B284537D8F2.jpeg

I like it! Makes mixing better to because of the increased volume.