Fimco Rant

Belo

5 year old buck +
I mean God dammit. I'm on year 3 of what I thought was a pretty damn expensive 65 gallon UTV sprayer with boom and wand. I'm on pump 3. They sent me a replacement diaphragm last year and it didn't fully help return the pump to life, but was better than it completely failing to prime all together.

This year they're replacing another one that just eventually died out on me mid year. I emailed customer service and they tell me not to use it with surfactants. Guess what has surfactants in it? F'n Roundup which is what I assume many people will use a boom sprayer for. I'm probably more unique in that I use it also with the wand to spray fruit trees... which that spray is totally fine.

CS then tells me I should get a pro-grade pump at like $250 if I want to spray surfactants... however they don't offer this model out of the gate with their utv sprayer. It also is 4gpm and 45psi vs 4.5gpm and 65psi.

Oh and if you think I should have known better? Sure maybe, but the only mention of surfactants is buried in their user manual, not on their website or box description.

end rant

I mean God dammit. I'm on year 3 of what I thought was a pretty damn expensive 65 gallon UTV sprayer with boom and wand. I'm on pump 3. They sent me a replacement diaphragm last year and it didn't fully help return the pump to life, but was better than it completely failing to prime all together.

This year they're replacing another one that just eventually died out on me mid year. I emailed customer service and they tell me not to use it with surfactants. Guess what has surfactants in it? F'n Roundup which is what I assume many people will use a boom sprayer for. I'm probably more unique in that I use it also with the wand to spray fruit trees... which that spray is totally fine.

CS then tells me I should get a pro-grade pump at like $250 if I want to spray surfactants... however they don't offer this model out of the gate with their utv sprayer. It also is 4gpm and 45psi vs 4.5gpm and 65psi.

Oh and if you think I should have known better? Sure maybe, but the only mention of surfactants is buried in their user manual, not on their website or box description.

end rant

Join the party ...

My fimco sprayer had a bunch of issues the first few years I've had it and I was pissed. I had to replace a couple pumps and diaphragms, but things have worked great since then after I changed my cleaning procedure. After I'm done spraying for the day, I hose out the tank with the drain open. Then I close the drain, fill the tank with clean water and let the sprayer run until the tank is empty. I think a lot of the issues I was having before were caused by having the chemicals gum up the pump/diaphragm.

The glyphosate I use comes premixed with surfactants and it has not been a problem for my sprayer.

I use a cleaner made for sprayers

My fimco sprayer had a bunch of issues the first few years I've had it and I was pissed. I had to replace a couple pumps and diaphragms, but things have worked great since then after I changed my cleaning procedure. After I'm done spraying for the day, I hose out the tank with the drain open. Then I close the drain, fill the tank with clean water and let the sprayer run until the tank is empty. I think a lot of the issues I was having before were caused by having the chemicals gum up the pump/diaphragm.

The glyphosate I use comes premixed with surfactants and it has not been a problem for my sprayer.
I'm far from perfect but I do rinse and even use dishsoap which i think i saw they recommend. Something that's billed as "farm equipment" should be able to take alittle bit of a beating though

I'm far from perfect but I do rinse and even use dishsoap which i think i saw they recommend. Something that's billed as "farm equipment" should be able to take alittle bit of a beating though
Next time you get it running, try running an entire tank of clean water through the sprayer after rinsing it out first.

I had a ton of issues with my Fimco that sounded identical to yours for the first few years, but knock on wood the last 5+ years have been flawless.

Spray tank cleaners neutralize the harmful acids in herbicides. It's cheap and easy to do especially if you're already running clean water through your tank. The stuff I use is 2oz per 20ga. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

If you ever go with a roller pump then get the gly safe pump.

Dish soap is a "surfactant". LOL

I had a FLIMCO until this year. Trust me.....I feel your pain....and have replaced pumps and diaphragms over the years too. At times I had trouble getting the FLIMCO pump to prime......and would use my air compressor to prime it everytime. Just remove the "tether" cord from the fill cap....und use an air nozzle against that hole. Bingo....With a little air pressure the pump will prime.

My new Master Mfg pump didn't self prime on two occasions. They have a pickup hose that lays in the sump of the tank. On that sprayer the lid (cap) is very large and you can reach into the tank to grab the rubber pick-up hose. Then use a water hose against that pick up line.....to force some water into the pump. Viola! primes like a charm.

Now, after a good rinsing.....I put a couple of quarts of RV antifreeze in the tank and turn on the pump till its in the line. Some of the manufactures are recommending this. Hope it helps.

I have always run fresh water after done spraying to get the tank & sprayer system initially rinsed. Then run water 4-5 gal of water with a couple of squirts of dish soap that is anti-bacterial through, then a final clean water rinse.

My 1st FIMCO lasted 20+ years with no problems. The new one I bought 3 years ago has been a POS.

I’ve heard of so many people burned by crap sprayers over the years. I have one too.

But I’ve salivated over those Enduraplas sprayers. Both the UTV and the smaller PTO units for tractors seem so well thought out and high quality.

But they cost 8X of my cheapie.

Anyone ever tried one?

Next time you get it running, try running an entire tank of clean water through the sprayer after rinsing it out first.

I had a ton of issues with my Fimco that sounded identical to yours for the first few years, but knock on wood the last 5+ years have been flawless.
dang man I have a 65 gallon tank. I use my pump at a remote location too. I don't have the time for that haha.

Anyhow, I'm optimistic about their secret redesign that is supposed to "work with roundup"

Another rant I forgot. All 3 of my pumps have had the bolts holding the pump together loosen. Seems some simple blue thread locker should be applied at the factory for guys like me who throw these on the back of their utv or atv which is generally not flat. I realize they need to be removed to clean the diaphragm, but they shouldn't so easily rattle loose.

Last edited:
I thought I was toast with my 15 gal fimco this yeat.. Barely spraying. Added AMS, some residue plugged the pump inlet filters. The nozzle prefilters looked a bit plugged too. Cleaned everything out and was just fine.

I am going up to camp saturday morning. I drive 6 miles on a sandy road to camp. 4 inches of rain friday up there. IT's this weekend or not at all. Also, I use creek water pumped through a strainer. Might be too muddy to use that water. Might not dry out too well either for saturday.

Well I ran the last tank of the season on Tuesday and it was decent. This was after 20 gallons of max arrest and 30 gallons of roundup a few weeks prior on the newest pump. She primed ok but struggled from time to time with the fruit tree and plant guard by bonide. I also bought some tank and pump cleaner from TSC and followed the instructions there to hopefully add some life to this one.