Fertilizing cuttings planted in black plastic

bueller

I've got about 85% survival rate on the cuttings I planted for a screen back in April. They are planted through black plastic and look pretty good except they are still only about 12" tall. They were nearly this tall when I last saw them 4 weeks ago. We've had plenty of rain. I have poor quality sandy soil which I did no amendments to prior to planting. Can I broadcast some fertilizer on top of the black plastic and let the ran wash it in? Will this shorten the life of the plastic?

I hope your right. This is what they look like after two months in the ground, basically the same as they did a month ago. Hopefully they are putting some roots down.

IMG_20150621_115548_759.jpg

hybrid poplar in front, dappled willows in back
IMG_20150621_115618_298.jpg

Bueller - that's normal for them. I wouldn't do anything else to them. I'll snap some pics of my Spring planted HW's and then some of them that are starting on their 3rd year now. Big difference :)

Thanks guys. At this point I'm hoping they make it through the summer in good condition and at least put on some growth. I'd be happy if by fall of next year I have a decent screen 5-6' tall.

I must have missed it, but what kind of cuttings were they exactly? HP and HW? Oh and what size cuttings were they?

12" cuttings. Hybrid poplar OP-367 and Dappled Willow

Have a look at my latest post here: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/habitat-progress-pictures.3500/
I think you will like seeing how fast the HP's grow, but the DW's haven't been as fast as the HP's or the HW's.
Very nice, I don't know how I missed your thread. My HP are a short term solution and will have to be cut once they get too tall because of overhead power lines. Hopefully at that time the dappled willows will be tall enough for my long term screen. I wasn't expecting 15' of growth the first year like some in the south have seen but I was hoping for at least a couple feet.

Looks like you've done everything right (and protected them well!), now comes the nasty word... Patience :) I'm sure that strategy will work out fine, with the HP's providing a faster screen while the DW's fill in over time. Who knows, they may all just love your soil and shot up fast. My soil is well drained, sandy loam.

Just as a precaution, let me ask... Do you have the 6" staples underneath those 2x4's and 4x4's? I only ask because I underestimated the power of wind and overestimated the weight of only using large rocks on my 1st attempt to lay down the black plastic! Thankfully I hadn't planted into it yet and was able to get it put back down safely (and secured!) the 2nd time. I'd also put some staples or big rocks in the middle areas as well. You might have already, not trying to be a know it all or anything, I was just amazed at how easily it blew up with only mild winds and hope others don't make those same mistakes.

Last edited:
Yep I have a bunch if 6" staples along the outside and at least one at each cutting.