Farmall H $1000

Its an H......with a narrow front.........and no power steering......that needs rear rubber..........Did I mention its an H Farmall?

We plotted for many years with a Farmall H(had an M for a while as well), great running little tractor. While it does have many faults, they are still pretty good tractors for just pulling a plow, disk, or ground driven drill on flat ground, especially for folks who have never had another tractor to compare it to. The biggest drawback was not having a 3 pt and only a drawbar on the back of ours. Compared to the "real" tractors(IH 600, 700, 800, 1000 series) I drove for the farmers I worked for, it was a PIA sometimes with no 3pt or rear hydraulics. That said, it is still a huge step up from plotting with an ATV. I can't say that I wouldn't necessarily have another one if that was all I could afford. There certainly are better tractors out there that will do way more work, but you ain't touching any one of those rigs for $1K.

Personally......if I had $1000 to buy a tractor......I'd save, until I had $2000 to buy a tractor. ;) (maybe that should be your signature line SD....grin)

Done deal.

My 240 acre piece has a little over 3 acres of plots, and an $800 M with a $150, 7 foot finish disk and 5 foot packer can plant anything. Corn, beans, brassica, clover, rye and on and on. If you don't have acreage I can't see the 'need' for a bigger machine.

The Farmall H is a great tractor. Around here they used to say, "Everybody ought to have an H!"

BUT ... Mo is right about the rear tires. I'd buy a non-running H with new tires before I'd buy a good-running H with crap tires. Tires are expensive!!!

My 240 acre piece has a little over 3 acres of plots, and an $800 M with a $150, 7 foot finish disk and 5 foot packer can plant anything. Corn, beans, brassica, clover, rye and on and on. If you don't have acreage I can't see the 'need' for a bigger machine.
Yeah....well you can overhaul an engine with plow-down tools too. But why would you when there are better to be had? (If you don't know....plow down tools ate those funny looking bent wrenches that came with old machinery. If they fell off the trActor and got plowed under....you weren't out anything.)

Yeah....well you can overhaul an engine with plow-down tools too. But why would you when there are better to be had? (If you don't know....plow down tools ate those funny looking bent wrenches that came with old machinery. If they fell off the trActor and got plowed under....you weren't out anything.)

You can drive a brand new BMW suv but you drive a jeep. Why?

You can drive a brand new BMW suv but you drive a jeep. Why?
THAT is a good question. ;) Actually my Jeep is better equipped than that Beamer. Now if it was just reliable. o_O

Regarding the H. You got no LivePTO, no hydraulics, no loader, no three point (not to mention the trycile front end which can get dicey to operate). So, you can't operate a landscape rake, a post hole digger, a rear blade, a tiller, or a cutter or anthything without it's own set of wheels to transport the implements. These tractors are made for plowing and disking on flat land. Most of the implements you collect for it will be antiques too.

That's my opinion....and I'm sticking to it. :D

Regarding the H. You got no LivePTO, no hydraulics, no loader, no three point (not to mention the trycile front end which can get dicey to operate). So, you can't operate a landscape rake, a post hole digger, a rear blade, a tiller, or a cutter or anthything without it's own set of wheels to transport the implements. These tractors are made for plowing and disking on flat land. Most of the implements you collect for it will be antiques too.

That's my opinion....and I'm sticking to it. :D

I have the $800 tractor on one farm and a $7,000 unit on the other. I would not want to tackle the big piece on the small tractor, but the big tractor makes quick work of the small piece.

He said he would take $900. Love those old tractors.

He said he would take $900. Love those old tractors.

I was blown away at what they could pull when I was a kid.

I looked into one of these at first. My thoughts were it would be better then beating up my 4 wheeler and burning it out. Ended up getting a 656 6 years ago or so.