Farm liability insurance and equipment rental

Turkish

5 year old buck +
I’ve been looking to rent a skid steer for farm work and the local rental places don’t seem to commonly rent to the public. They’re asking for a certificate of liability insurance. I carry additional liability on my homeowner’s policy, which extends to covering my undeveloped property (as long as there is no building and no derived income). The rental folks are not keen to honor that.

Is this an issue anyone else has run into? What sort of liability insurance are you using for your farm?

Usually the rental company offers insurance at an extra cost.

They must not do a lot of business?

They must not do a lot of business?
He said they have 5 units that keep Vail cutters on them constantly and they rarely sit on the yard. Said I was his 3rd call in last 4 hours about that item.

I have a farm policy. They had to up my coverage a bit to cover the rented equipment because it was expensive. Coverage is for a year though so I can cancel when I'm done and get some of that back.

I rented a case dozer one time and paid several hundred dollars for their insurance. Damaged a hydraulic hose. They would not take insurance - said that was only for catastrophic loss of the machine. I had to pay out of pocket an extra $1000 for damage. It is a racket

If you have an umbrella insurance policy, you should with you agent as you may be covered for liability. We have a $5 million umbrella policy and it is pretty cheap.

If you have an umbrella insurance policy, you should with you agent as you may be covered for liability. We have a $5 million umbrella policy and it is pretty cheap.
My umbrella policy only kicks in after the primary policy is exhausted. I'm guessing most are the same.

My umbrella policy only kicks in after the primary policy is exhausted. I'm guessing most are the same.
I think mine is mostly the same. It’s essentially an extension of my homeowners policy. For this reason, I’m guessing the rental company isn’t going to accept it.

Our local Bobcat dealer automatically charges you a percentage of your total rental for "insurance". There is no way around it I have tried with other coverages. You pay it or you don't rent it. I would say that someone above mentioned having to pay for the replacement of a hydraulic hose. I would have said kiss my $%$! That is why I rent equipment. Normal wear and tear is NOT my responsibility. I had a rental with a leaky hydraulic coupler a couple of months ago. I called them and said come fix it please. Unless you want me to run it with the leak, also my down time is added to the length of my rental at no cost to me.

Our local Bobcat dealer automatically charges you a percentage of your total rental for "insurance". There is no way around it I have tried with other coverages. You pay it or you don't rent it. I would say that someone above mentioned having to pay for the replacement of a hydraulic hose. I would have said kiss my $%$! That is why I rent equipment. Normal wear and tear is NOT my responsibility. I had a rental with a leaky hydraulic coupler a couple of months ago. I called them and said come fix it please. Unless you want me to run it with the leak, also my down time is added to the length of my rental at no cost to me.
Coincidentally the place asking for a liability policy is the local Bobcat dealership.

Coincidentally the place asking for a liability policy is the local Bobcat dealership.
Our current local dealer is the only one I have ever had that happen at. I don't know, maybe they are all independently owned?