Fall Mix Ideas

southboundfishing

Yearling... With promise
I was hoping ya'll could help me out.....I have a 606nt drill with a small seed box and was looking for some ideas. Would you mind sharing your mix's and rate per acre that you use? Thanks in advance as this is my first season handling our plots.....we are located in the lowcountry of south carolina....

Thanks Lon

Wild Thing and a few others here have the same drill and have posted in several threads the mixes they have used and the settings. If you do a search you can find a bunch of good info. Here a few threads I found with some very good starting points.

Maybe it’s obvious but SC low country might benefit from different blends and strategies than a lot of what’s happening on here in MO, IA, MN, MI, NY, IL, etc.

Maybe it’s obvious but SC low country might benefit from different blends and strategies than a lot of what’s happening on here in MO, IA, MN, MI, NY, IL, etc.
a" lesson learned" that I wish I had learned earlier

Search out local/regional habitat brethren and compare notes on what works best

bill

Check out the thread "A Few no till questions"

As a no till newbie, I got a lot of questions addressed

bill

Fall plant TRITICALE (150) with clovers

(Aberlasting (3), Arrowleaf (8), balansa (8),

berseem (7), crimson (10), subterranean (5)),

brassicas (3), winter (15), spring peas (15),

buckwheat (10) in late September. Plant into

standing summer crop.

I’ll probably use a bit lower seed numbers this year.

Keep clover on the ground 365 and then drill into as needed. Long day brassicas can go in early summer along with things like sorghum if you want even heavier structure; however, Ethiopian Cabbage in a brassica mix will get as tall.

C868A9FC-6FAD-4E85-8811-1FAE748BEA5E.jpeg

I am pretty far south in SW AR. I dont have a drill, but I still plant about 40 acres a year - or more in a year that is not too wet. Here is what I have learned at my place. Brassicas need to go in around labor day to put on enough growth before frost - but, we are dry as a bone and it is an odd year that early planting date works. It is too early for cool season grasses. If there is enough moisture to get them up, then they will be calf high by hunting season and somewhat ignored by the deer - and, there is a high likelihood army worms get the grasses in Sept.

I usually plant a mix of wheat and clover. I will plant rye if I dont think I will ever turkey hunt that plot. Rye and triticale grow so tall by spring turkey season, our gobblers will avoid that plot - but is probably a good hen nesting site. I dont really care for most annual clovers - as they put on a lot of growth in the spring when everything is green and the plots arent getting much use anyway - and then die back in the summer when the deer need it. I like a perennial white clover like durana or patriot and maybe some medium red mixed in. Those white clovers seem to make it longer in our hot, dry summers. Some rare wet summers the clover stays green all summer and has a jump start for fall.

Wheat for me to hunt and clover for the does and antler growing in summer.

I'd consider a summer food plot that you can plant fall stuff into. Regional areas vary. I thought SC deer herd have it pretty tough in the summer.

Hows your soil fertility, you using fertilizer with the fall plot? Any land issues in your plot? weed issues, hard pan, toruble spots?