Exhausted!

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Today was butchering day. We had 3 deer to butcher from this past week that have been hanging quartered in my reach-in cooler. We started about 9 AM and took an hour break for lunch. If finished about 7PM and are heading out to dinner. We still have clean-up to do. We put off making jerky until tomorrow...

Exhausting, but the fruits will be worth the effort!

I was tired after doing one! With the near perfect weather (cold), I am letting mine hang for a few days, and will process next Saturday. Hopefully I will have another by then!

I was tired after doing one! With the near perfect weather (cold), I am letting mine hang for a few days, and will process next Saturday. Hopefully I will have another by then!
Two of mine hung in the cooler for 6 days. the small one just over night. While I do find it much more efficient to process multiple deer at once, it sure is draining!

After taking a break all day Saturday, we are back at it today. My wife started boiling meat off the bones for soup stock this morning. We then seasoned 14 lbs of fine ground and put it back in the fridge to set. We will extrude the jerky this evening when she is done with boiling the bones and pulling meat for BBQ. We will then put it in the Excalibur dehydrator and let it run over night.

Sounds like an eventful day(s) yoderjac. Been a busy week for me too. Butchered two deer of which we got 30 pounds of bacon burger, 10 pounds of Italian sausage, 16 pounds of jalapeño cheddar summer sausage, some ground, roasts, and steaks. Also rendered lard, butchered chickens, making chicken broth, and probably a few other things I’m missing. Sure is fun getting to make food out of what we work hard for

c1341ff539ff18a8b80cf04d8cd8ec23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great! We did 14 pounds of jerky with the last batch.