Electric heater in box stand?

Redonthehead

5 year old buck +
Wondering if anyone has tried running a small 12 volt electric heater in a box stand. I see some at 300 watts with a fan for ~$50. Is 300w enough to take the edge off a 20F morning? Not looking to making it balmy. And would it less prone to fogging the windows than a propane heater?

Never bought one but just remember that the typical portable hair dryer is somewhere between 1200 - 1500W so use that as a guide. As far as fogging windows, probably less issue since propane when it burns also gives off water vapor which contributes to the problem

A heater will burn through a battery pretty quickly and most will be lost. You would be better off investing in heated clothing under you insulated outerwear and connecting that to your battery instead. This will put the heat directly on your body and trap as much as possible under your insulated outerwear. You will make much more efficient use of the power stored in the battery.

Just as a point of reference for you. I use a small portable propane heater that advertises to produce 3800 BTU/hr. SO this would equate to roughly 1,100 (3.4 BTU = 1 watt). You are talking about a quarter of that. My heater doesn't turn the blind into a sauna......it simply takes the sting out of the cold and makes it less miserable. Now my blinds are not insulated or sealed real well and propane means I have to have a window open to vent the fumes as well. The idea of heat without the fumes is great, but I am not sure how long a battery is going to provide that heat source. Batteries ain't cheap, and lugging one back and forth won't be fun either....especially in the cold. My propane heater stays in the blind and I simply bring a 16oz bottle with me if needed (I tend to keep a couple in the blind once it gets cold and thru hunting season) and one of these bottles last 5 to 6 hours.

Just as a point of reference for you. I use a small portable propane heater that advertises to produce 3800 BTU/hr. SO this would equate to roughly 1,100 (3.4 BTU = 1 watt). You are talking about a quarter of that. My heater doesn't turn the blind into a sauna......it simply takes the sting out of the cold and makes it less miserable. Now my blinds are not insulated or sealed real well and propane means I have to have a window open to vent the fumes as well. The idea of heat without the fumes is great, but I am not sure how long a battery is going to provide that heat source. Batteries ain't cheap, and lugging one back and forth won't be fun either....especially in the cold. My propane heater stays in the blind and I simply bring a 16oz bottle with me if needed (I tend to keep a couple in the blind once it gets cold and thru hunting season) and one of these bottles last 5 to 6 hours.

Jbird is spot on. I also use a small Lil Buddy Heater operating on propane putting out 3800 btu/hr. It helps to take the chill off after siting 3-4 hours, but will not frost up the windows.

Think about it, a 300 watt heater is equal to (3) 100 watt light bulbs. In a 20 deg F blind, I doubt you will see much noticeable warming.

I also have the small propane heater now - Mr Buddy - it only takes a few minutes at 4,000 BTUs to warm the blind then shut it off. But it also fogs the glass. A 300W electric heater running half the time of a three hour sit would be 300*1.5= 450 watt hours. Divide by 12 volts and you have 37.5 Amp-hour. I have a 105 amp hour battery sitting in the boat not doing anything. Of course there would be efficiency losses due to the cold and drain rate

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RoadPro-...eater-Fan-with-Swivel-Base-RPSL-681/300137288

I would have guessed someone would have tried this.

Ever think of trying a heater body suit? I hear they work wonders.

Get 3 lamps and put 100 watt light bulbs in them and put the lamp in a closet the size of your blind - would you expect the heat from those bulbs to increase the air temperature in that closet over any amount of time? The amount of thermal losses are simply too great. You could tape the door shut and stuff towels under it and I just don't see it happening. I think your battery will run the heater. I just think your heater will lack the BTU output needed. I also think messing with a boat/car battery that often is going to suck as well. Battery power has its limits and applications and cold weather typically isn't one of them where they do real well. I like the idea of thinking outside the box!

I also have the small propane heater now - Mr Buddy - it only takes a few minutes at 4,000 BTUs to warm the blind then shut it off. But it also fogs the glass. A 300W electric heater running half the time of a three hour sit would be 300*1.5= 450 watt hours. Divide by 12 volts and you have 37.5 Amp-hour. I have a 105 amp hour battery sitting in the boat not doing anything. Of course there would be efficiency losses due to the cold and drain rate

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RoadPro-...eater-Fan-with-Swivel-Base-RPSL-681/300137288

I would have guessed someone would have tried this.

300W electric heater running at 12 volts is a 25 amp draw (300/12). So a 105 ah battery will run your heater for about 4 hours and be pretty much drained completely.

Super insulate the box blind, air seal, big solar panel, big battery pack, triple pane windows. Then you only need a small electric heater.

Super insulate the box blind, air seal, big solar panel, big battery pack, triple pane windows. Then you only need a small electric heater.

...or buy a $100 propane buddy heater.

You could calculate the size of the bank of batteries you would need by doing an Ohms law calculation.

We tried the little buddy it lasted about a day and a half then wouldn't light any longer. It gave out and my son nick named it the little trader vs little buddy.
I bought a much cheaper unit that is super basic which is good. It also puts out fewer BTU's which is good as it is not needed and we are getting 10 - 12 hrs out of 1 tank. Here is a link and pic. $30
https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Por...d=1482289831&sr=8-1&keywords=texsport+propane
IMG_0820.JPG

I use a propane heater that sits on top of a 20 pound tank. It takes the chill out of an insulated 4x8 foot blind with windows in about 15 to 20 minutes. Sometimes the windows are iced shut and this heater solves that problem real quick. I leave the door open a crack until I can open the windows for fresh air ventilation. I tried the smaller propane heaters and they did nothing on cold Wisconsin days.

I build my box blinds the same way as ice fishing shacks. A small 3" screened vent hole down in corner where stove sits and another within a foot of the ceiling above it. Some of the newer stoves claim ventless is ok but my stove supply is all old school like made in the 60s or homemade repurposed burners. If you dont build with vents probably good idea to crack a door or window. And yes my sturgeon shack needs a real heater too not one of them little guys.

Agree the 12V option isn't viable. I have one tiny littl shack that I call the ice box - that I can heat with some success with a big candle. I put it up near my face on a little shelf and that makes me happy and warm enough for a few hour sit anyhow -

We have several Propane options that we've tried - most are mentioned here. Next summer my bigger box is getting the old 1 burner camp stove out of my old 1970ish camper