Effective bedding starter pack?

Troubles Trees

5 year old buck +
This has most things I was looking to plant in an open area below my camper, I will definitely add a few things like Miscanthus-giganteus (if I spelled that right, its as hard to spell as it is to find at a reasonable price) and Egyptian Wheat for diversity, but this looks like a descent starter pack so to speak.

It has:
Big Bluestem
Switchgrass
Indian Grass
Virginia Wild Rye
Partridge Pea
New England Aster
Maximillian Sunflower

https://www.nativnurseries.com/coll...sale/products/bedding-blend-cover-habitat-mix

Around here, for bedding cover, the most cost effective method is to clear-cut (if the are is not open), spray herbicide to prevent stump sprouts (if Hardwoods weer clear cut), execute a controlled burn. In my area, we have bluestem broomsedge in the seed bank. It takes over quickly providing the cover needed for bedding. Every 3 or 4 years, control burn to keep it in early succession.

I find planting for bedding expensive and hard to maintain if you don't burn.

Thanks,

Jack

I’ve been messing with MG for years and still spell it wrong all the time. I think you got it right...

Around here, for bedding cover, the most cost effective method is to clear-cut (if the are is not open), spray herbicide to prevent stump sprouts (if Hardwoods weer clear cut), execute a controlled burn. In my area, we have bluestem broomsedge in the seed bank. It takes over quickly providing the cover needed for bedding. Every 3 or 4 years, control burn to keep it in early succession.

I find planting for bedding expensive and hard to maintain if you don't burn.

Thanks,

Jack

I agree, I have been looking for something in this range all summer but it is pricey, especially the Miscanthus-giganteus. That stuff is like $60 for 10 Rhizomes and I would like hundreds if not thousands of them lol Alternatively Egyptian wheat is more like $50 for 10 pounds.
That is why these packets seem easier on the wallet if it produces somthing close to what I am looking to achieve.

I agree, I have been looking for something in this range all summer but it is pricey, especially the Miscanthus-giganteus. That stuff is like $60 for 10 Rhizomes and I would like hundreds if not thousands of them lol Alternatively Egyptian wheat is more like $50 for 10 pounds.
That is why these packets seem easier on the wallet if it produces somthing close to what I am looking to achieve.
Somebody's getting rich if they're getting $60 for 10 rhizomes, $70/100 is about right.

Looks like their price went up this year to $75/100.

http://www.mapleriverfarms.com/

Last edited:
Somebody's getting rich if they're getting $60 for 10 rhizomes, $70/100 is about right.

Looks like they're price went up this year to $75/100.

http://www.mapleriverfarms.com/
That was just a quick search to write a price and the first one I came to, your place is a lot more reasonable so thank you for that bud. I will bookmark that site!

Would you recommend buying clusters or individual?

That was just a quick search to write a price and the first one I came to, your place is a lot more reasonable so thank you for that bud. I will bookmark that site!

I've planted both clusters will gain you about a year on growth, both height and number of stalks, they work well but to me that year isn't worth the the extra money.

Scott planted some clusters so he’s better experienced to answer that one.

I just have to add that when I’ve ordered from Don at maple Rivers. I’ve always recieved more than I ordered.

The clusters are more of a pain to plant, bigger = bigger hole to dig, rhizomes can be just thrown in the hole and clusters have an "up" side.

Clusters

0gMkAU4.jpg

Zxrhkha.jpg

Rhizomes

P2uM7WJ.jpg

mix some pines or cedars in that kit with some shrubs and you'll have a fine bedding area

This has most things I was looking to plant in an open area below my camper, I will definitely add a few things like Miscanthus-giganteus (if I spelled that right, its as hard to spell as it is to find at a reasonable price) and Egyptian Wheat for diversity, but this looks like a descent starter pack so to speak.

It has:
Big Bluestem
Switchgrass
Indian Grass
Virginia Wild Rye
Partridge Pea
New England Aster
Maximillian Sunflower

https://www.nativnurseries.com/coll...sale/products/bedding-blend-cover-habitat-mix

Looks good. Only suggestion would be that Big Bluestem can outcompete and take over even switchgrass. Some recommend that big bluestem might be better planted year 2 or 3 to allow the others yo get established.

Thank you all so very much for the input, this is an area I am lacking knowledge on and you guys always give solid advice!

I wouldn't mix MG,All the rest of those are managed with fire so make sure you can burn.If the ground isn't very good everything but the switch will fall with snow.I like blackwell switch or kanlow but you would want to find what is used in your area.Switch can be broadcasted where most if not all the rest have to be drilled with a NWSG drill unless you broadcast with a seed slinger or use the leaf blower device

I’ve actually burnt MG doesn’t bother it.

A burn Prior to mid may in NY would be fine.
Something tells me TT isn’t getting a burn permit in his lacal anyway.

I would add a good clover mix in it with some birdsfoot trefoil for some beneficial low ground cover plants.

Hahaa I had to Google all of those later ones mentioned except clover, gosh I am terrible at this type of stuff but am ever so thankful for guys like y'all !!!
Bill you are 100% correct bud, as much as I would love to do a prescribed burn I am terrified of it getting out of hand, and at this point I have too many 1-2-3 and 4 year old trees everywhere that wouldn't handle a fire.
H20 can birdsfoot trefoil be planted by means of frost seeding or throw-N-mow kind of thing? I literally use my lawn tractor as a brush hog and to tow my little trailer lol

H20 can birdsfoot trefoil be planted by means of frost seeding or throw-N-mow kind of thing? I literally use my lawn tractor as a brush hog and to tow my little trailer lol

Absolutely, about all of it that I have ever planted has been just broadcasted. I have only planted it in spring and have been very successful with it.
It will come back year after year and is a decent browse plant for deer/turkey/bunnies and an excellent pollinator plant for bees, here for me it grows better along edges full sun the best gets around 2' tall.

2NC4VrD.jpg

Great input guys thank you very much!