All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Seasons Tactics

Are you using cell cams? If not, where do you hang them to not be intrusuve when retreiving cards? My problem is that all my cameras are in areas that are too intrusive to check them frequently. I only check them when going to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am not. I have my main trail that I use regularly with my atv. I never go all year within 2 hours of dark. I truly believe the deer are conditioned to it. I have all my cams set where I can check them from the atv or truck.

A cell cam would work better, but honestly, in my scenario I think it would be crossing the line of unfair advantage. I could get a pic of a big deer in my plots and be back there while hes still in it. I check them in person... that way i'm still usually a day late and dollar short! :) Plus id never get ANYTHING done if the cell cam was sending me pics all day! I piss my wife off enough the way it is!

I am not. I have my main trail that I use regularly with my atv. I never go all year within 2 hours of dark. I truly believe the deer are conditioned to it. I have all my cams set where I can check them from the atv or truck.

A cell cam would work better, but honestly, in my scenario I think it would be crossing the line of unfair advantage. I could get a pic of a big deer in my plots and be back there while hes still in it. I check them in person... that way i'm still usually a day late and dollar short! :) Plus id never get ANYTHING done if the cell cam was sending me pics all day! I piss my wife off enough the way it is!
I agree with the productivity concern. It wouldn't feel like a fair chase either. I would want one that only sent the pictures at one a day or once a week.

I agree with the productivity concern. It wouldn't feel like a fair chase either. I would want one that only sent the pictures at one a day or once a week.

Don't know what your missing! Mine don't send me pics but I could set them that up. It's way to annoying having birds and bunnies sent to my email. But it nice to log in every morning while having coffee and see what happened over the past 24 hours.

Id love to have cell cams but in my area there is no way they would be able to get service.

Ya I agree. Im watching my cams like a hawk and have a pretty good idea if and when a particular buck is coming in to the plots in daylight. If there wasnt one, I sure wouldnt be there leaving scent.

Hunt smarter, not harder. Ill toast to that.

Bill your advice is spot on. The more I have stopped hunting early season, waited till at least the 3rd weekend in Oct, the more mature buck sightings & opps I have had.

A quick joke that sums it up ... an old bull & young bull stood on top a hill and looked at all the fine cows down in the grazing range. The young bull said ... lets race down there and screw one of those pretty cows? The old bull says ... why don't we walk down and screw them all?

A good hunter doesn't force the situation ... sometimes less time in the stand and the "right" time will offer netter results.

I hunt opening weekend in my home stand, which here is the middle of September. I try to take a doe that first weekend as I'm usually out of venison. Too crowded in public land that weekend. If I don't get one those two nights then I'll hunt public near me during the week.

I've yet to have the pleasure of targeting a specific buck. After I get a doe I'll be in the stand when the weather tells me to be there, usually public in the evenings as mornings I'll be duck hunting. Starting halloween I'll be out every chance i get.

I've hunted opening weekend (October 15th) every year, sometimes with success, more often without, but it's always been over fields. This year I found a patch of white oaks near a small creek in my bottom so wind permitting, that's where I'll be. I can hunt the area with North, South and West winds. Prevailing winds during bow season here are typically southerly or southwesterly, which is good for where my ground blind is located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't educate them to the fact that they are being hunted.
Easiest way to screw up a season is getting too aggressive early in the season.