Durana Clover Update

bbcoach

5 year old buck +
Some of you have been asking questions about clover. I thought I would update my half acre durana plot that was started in the fall of 2015. I am not affiliated with any clover/company. I want to give you a perspective on Durana. This 300 yard by 35 foot shooting lane clover plot started in the spring of 2015 with 3 ton of lime being applied (4.7 ph). The initial planting was about 3 lbs of Durana with winter rye as a cover in the fall of 2015. In March 2016 I applied about 2 lbs to some of the bare areas and 3 years later the pics speak for themselves. This plot has only had about 200 lbs of 0-25-25 fertilizer applied each spring. The durana stolons have spread and are now choking out most of the weeds and grasses. IMO Durana is one of the best clovers on the market. I've tried red and Dutch white but neither can compete with the stolons the Durana puts down. We are planning on converting 2 more Dutch and red clover plots to Durana this fall. Hope you enjoy the pics. Give Durana a look, you won't be sorry. By the way the third pic shows how thick and how the stolons have entertwined with each other. The deer and turkeys have been utilizing this plot every year and the deer normally keep the plot trimmed to about 1/2 an inch during the winter months. It has a chance to rebound now with the onset of spring.

Attachments

• 20180606_075226_Burst01.jpg
    20180606_075226_Burst01.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180606_075340_Burst01.jpg
    20180606_075340_Burst01.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180606_075630_Burst01.jpg
    20180606_075630_Burst01.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Looks great! Where does everyone buy their durana clover?

Looks great! Where does everyone buy their durana clover?
My local farm store sells it - but they wont break a 25 lb bag - which works OK for me, but someone wanting to do only a one acre plot couldnt do that.

Sportsman guide has it along with Hancock seed out of Dade Florida in the 5 lb bags. 5 lb will cover an acre they say.

Some of you have been asking questions about clover. I thought I would update my half acre durana plot that was started in the fall of 2015. I am not affiliated with any clover/company. I want to give you a perspective on Durana. This 300 yard by 35 foot shooting lane clover plot started in the spring of 2015 with 3 ton of lime being applied (4.7 ph). The initial planting was about 3 lbs of Durana with winter rye as a cover in the fall of 2015. In March 2016 I applied about 2 lbs to some of the bare areas and 3 years later the pics speak for themselves. This plot has only had about 200 lbs of 0-25-25 fertilizer applied each spring. The durana stolons have spread and are now choking out most of the weeds and grasses. IMO Durana is one of the best clovers on the market. I've tried red and Dutch white but neither can compete with the stolons the Durana puts down. We are planning on converting 2 more Dutch and red clover plots to Durana this fall. Hope you enjoy the pics. Give Durana a look, you won't be sorry. By the way the third pic shows how thick and how the stolons have entertwined with each other. The deer and turkeys have been utilizing this plot every year and the deer normally keep the plot trimmed to about 1/2 an inch during the winter months. It has a chance to rebound now with the onset of spring.

What zone are you in?

bill

Just a caution for those in more northern climates...I've noticed many of us Duranafans are in far warmer climates. I've no idea how it does in regions of sustained, deep cold and a much shorter growing season.

Plot looks great!

Wal Mart stocks and sells small bags of Peningtons Durana in the fall

Just a caution for those in more northern climates...I've noticed many of us Duranafans are in far warmer climates. I've no idea how it does in regions of sustained, deep cold and a much shorter growing season.
According to Penningtons website, Durana is highly adaptable as far north as southern Wisconsin and southern Minnesota. I wouldn't think a shorter growing season would hurt Durana since clover likes cooler temps to grow and thrive, my only concern would be the cold. I'm not sure how it would hold up to -10 to -20 degree winters. I won't plant clover in my neck of the woods in the spring due to the competition of weeds and grass. Fall is by far the best time so the clover doesn't have any competition. Durana puts down roots first and not much top growth. So fall planted Durana will grow the root structure and early spring for top growth to get it up and over the weeds and grasses. Pennington would probably be able to clear this up if someone would like to drop them an E mail.

Last edited:
Seedeanch and Star Seed both sell it in 5 lb bags

The cold winter isnt a problem if you get the snow cover. Some years we'll have -10 in December but wont have the snow cover yet. I'm guessing that would do it in.

Durana is all that you say about it. I have three plots in it now. My observation in addition to yours is that on my property deer seem to prefer Med Red over the Durana. I seem to get more use on the Durana with the lactating does and their fawns but my plots with the med red are nearly overwhelmed by the deer in the heat of summer-don't have to worry about mowing because it never gets to flower. One plot I mixed the red with Durana-the only place any red can be seen blooming is in the exclusion cages. Plots vary between .5 and 1 acre- three with straight Durana, two with durana and red mixed(some crimson in one of them) and one with straight red. My local Southern States carries Durana in #5 and #25 for less than mail order, not counting additional for shipping,if any. This past winter we had temps below zero single digits, Durana is doing well