Dunstan Chestnut in Northern MN

nwmn

5 year old buck +
So last year I only had one left over from my winter growing(due to squirrels stealing my trees). I planted it at the hunting land and checked on it this weekend and it seems as if the buds on the branches were going to open up but never did, however I did see some new growth coming from the base. Does this mean anything for hardiness, or am I going to get sucker growth ever year from die back? I bent the branches and they seemed flexible still, and didn't snap so I was hoping to get the buds to make it. Guess I will try again with 5 more this year. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I did not plant it in a tube, as from what I read they suffer from 'weak limb syndrom'. I planted it in an opening right next to woods, in CRP ground.

I chalk it up as a win that it didn't completely die off. My guess is that it will continually die back and regrow from the roots, especially with winters like this past winter.

I noticed a lot of the oaks I planted that were rock stars last year experienced some dieback and some completely gone. I think all the nativ nursery white oaks are gone that made it through last years growing season. A little heartbreaking checking out the tubes this evening and seeing this.

I did not plant it in a tube, as from what I read they suffer from 'weak limb syndrom'. I planted it in an opening right next to woods, in CRP ground.

I chalk it up as a win that it didn't completely die off. My guess is that it will continually die back and regrow from the roots, especially with winters like this past winter.

I noticed a lot of the oaks I planted that were rock stars last year experienced some dieback and some completely gone. I think all the nativ nursery white oaks are gone that made it through last years growing season. A little heartbreaking checking out the tubes this evening and seeing this.
Ten years ago or so, I bought some of the "hybrid oaks"from Morse. I think two out of twelve survived and reached knee high. They were in tubes and cages. Those two now died back to the roots.

I do have a few swamp white oaks in the ground that are from acorns from a southern source. They seemed to survive, but were below the snow line.

Last edited:
I ordered 25 Bebbs oaks from Oikos, so far i've found a few dead already...I was not impressed with the seedlings I received at about $3/tree. The ones in my basement and now outside are of much greater quality. I think I'm going to continue to order plugs of oaks every year and continue to plant in my oak groves as well as planting some in the winter in my basement and plant in my direct seeded areas. One can never have too many oaks!