Dry ice

Powder

5 year old buck +
Any one use dry ice for a camping trip rather than regular ice? Did you think it was better or worse? How much would I need for a 7-10 trip?

If you are looking to keep stuff frozen solid, it works decent if you have a good cooler. If you are just trying to keep things cold, it isn't worth the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This to do a bit of both. Ideally, I'd like to keep food for 7-8 days so like most people, we would eat things like steaks or other meals that should be kept frozen first. It would be nice if things could stay frozen a bit longer before. I'm concerned about what happens after the dry ice is gone. Will things still stay cold for a while? We've always used regular ice in the past and that makes everything soggy. I'm looking for a better option.

When I was young and refrigeration was not as available, we used dry ice and a cooler. It lasted longer than regular ice for us and did they job when camping. A week works. Beyond that, your are pushing it. I'd plan for non-perishable food for the last few days.

Thanks,

Jack

What we always did was eat pork first but really if you are bringing a cooler and can drive to campsite I would think about one of those 75 freezers and run a generator a bit each day,the honda 2000 is super quiet

We're not going to a campground. A generator is not an option.

Powder, a closed cooler will stay frozen for a week. A cooler you open 3 times a day won't last much longer then ice. Best option, pack in a few different coolers, and don't open the ones for later in the week until you are ready to go. Also make sure these coolers are tightly sealed, or it will be gone by mid week.

One other thing we did was pack all the coolers with regular ice, then use a chunk of dry ice in each cooler to help keep the ice and the food cold. But if you are opening the cooler, it will still melt quick. What worked pretty decent is to have one cooler with just ice, regular ice, and dry ice to keep the regular ice frozen. Then take a bag of ice out a day to add to the other coolers. But after trying so many different things with coolers, and dry ice, we just figured out that when possible, a trip to the store every 2-3 days for ice and food for the next couple days. Much less hassle then carrying 5 coolers. Even one trip mid week to restock food, and ice is a much better option.

With the new style roto molded coolers you can keep things cold for a week or more with regular ice if you pre cool the cooler good before using.
Lot's of good coolers out there now, I would get one of the better like Pelican or Yeti. Since the new coolers came out we quit using dry ice on long trips all together, only draw back is they are heavier but they really do work.

Another thing we did on a NM elk hunt that we could drive to our camping spot was.We froze salt water in gallon milk jugs.It took a couple days to freeze them but they did ok also and alot cheaper and easier to find than dry ice.The ratios are online to mix

This is for a fishing trip to Canada and we go 30 miles by water so going back to the store is not an option. There aren't any stores nearby even when we get back to the truck. The Yeti's are nice but really expensive and also heavy. Weight isn't a huge deal but it is nice to keep it to a minimum.

This is pretty much what we use to do. Basically dry ice will help, and give you an extra day or 2, but it's best to just plan the perishable meals for early to mid week, then plan non perishable meals for late week, or fresh fish over a camp fire, with potatoes. As we got older, we decided those backwoods trips are more hassle then they were worth. There are much easier places to go, with good fishing, where you never see another boat all week.

I'd be bringing a bunch of canned venison and chicken jars. No need for refrigeration and just heat and serve for a good warm meal.

Another thing we did on a NM elk hunt that we could drive to our camping spot was.We froze salt water in gallon milk jugs.It took a couple days to freeze them but they did ok also and alot cheaper and easier to find than dry ice.The ratios are online to mix

I was gonna mention salt water. Never tried it but I've read some good things about it.
Either way...go with jugs of ice. Things stay pretty dry and as the jugs melt, you have clean water for drinking.

Strategic packing of coolers is key. Keep 'em closed as much as possible and pack other gear around the coolers to help insulate the cooler.
I've been on some extended raft trips and had fresh food for 15 days in 100 degree temps of the Grand Canyon.
Start with rock hard frozen food and plan each meal strategically and pack it accordingly. Get in and out of a cooler in a hurry. And a full cooler stays colder longer than a half full cooler.

I was gonna mention salt water. Never tried it but I've read some good things about it.
Either way...go with jugs of ice. Things stay pretty dry and as the jugs melt, you have clean water for drinking.

Strategic packing of coolers is key. Keep 'em closed as much as possible and pack other gear around the coolers to help insulate the cooler.
I've been on some extended raft trips and had fresh food for 15 days in 100 degree temps of the Grand Canyon.
Start with rock hard frozen food and plan each meal strategically and pack it accordingly. Get in and out of a cooler in a hurry. And a full cooler stays colder longer than a half full cooler.

I guess making sure the meat is rock hard frozen and packed in the right order for the days meal was going to be my response as well. Just have to make sure to take it out at the proper time to thaw out for the appropriate meal time. I'll also second the frozen jugs for drinking water and keeping the cooler dry.