Drury Deercast App

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
Anyone look at the Drury Outdoors Deercast app? I commend the idea but so far in 4 hunts, I would not exactly call it consistent or accurate. Saw a lot of deer on an OK day and none on a Great one. I like their content most of the time and it's an easier way to see my farms 7 day forecast versus wunderground/weather.com so I'll still use it.

I use it but don't have a ton of faith in it. It's a nice quick way to get hunting related weather with other hunting related content.

My favorite app was primos windchecker. Still use but it’s a bit dated.

Doesn’t tell you when tonhunt but it was nice for forcasted winds and looking at your stands in regards to it.

I think too many people put too much faith in any 1 thing.

Barometric pressure, red moon, etc are sweeteners, IMO. I'd much rather hunt weather, and more specifically fronts, then in conjuction with some of the other "throw ins" you can really start cooking...

Also depends on where you're hunting. You can say Deercast is a joke if you're hunting on a "great" day, but sitting a clover field in -5 degrees in January...

I downloaded this app out of curiosity. I fail to see how it's better than just looking at the 10 day weather forecast for where you hunt. It seems like it's primary purpose is to drive more clicks to their content. Perhaps there's more information in there that I didn't take the time to find. I prefer Yoder's ouji board, personally.

Usually when the drurys talk I like to listen they have forgotten more about killing big mature deer than I will ever know. But you have to take anything that a person pushing a product says with a grain of salt. I am really not interested in it due to the fact they are driving the use of the content and then adding a pay service to it next year. At least they did it honestly and told you up front it wouldn't be free next year.

Bill winke was trying to do the same thing with observation data not sure his is still up and running.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I’ll tell you this much. I wanted to develop the same dang thing for years but could never have done it at this point in my life. I’m thrilled they did it, and so far it’s very accurate, but the real test is coming over the next month. Big bucks don’t show up until this week (3rd-4th week in October) every year on my parcels so I’ve only used it between my brother and I a few times. As soon as Halloween hits, I’ll be much more aggressive in my tactics.

And I will say this, thus far my historical trail camera pictures have been a much more telling sign than anything. Come on November 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 14-18th for my properties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that the app is out of the bag, I'm sure we will see a huge uptick in big bucks harvested this year!

...........now where did i put that redmond mineral plot.........

bill

I downloaded this app out of curiosity. I fail to see how it's better than just looking at the 10 day weather forecast for where you hunt. It seems like it's primary purpose is to drive more clicks to their content. Perhaps there's more information in there that I didn't take the time to find. I prefer Yoder's ouji board, personally.

On the weather I just meant that weather.com and wunderground.com are filled with ads, slow to load, and it isn't so easy to see wind direction and 7 day forecast. I'm sure there are others that do the same, just comparing what I used and stating the reason I will keep the app on my phone and not delete it.

Does the app have a scent cone feature? Hunting big temperature drops seems pretty straight forward to me.

Check out the Scoutlook weather app. Gives you weather, scent cone, major and minor times, sun rise and sunset and moon phases for your exact stand location via google maps. Then go hunt.

Last edited:
Check out the Scoutlook weather app. Gives you weather, scent cone, major and minor times, sun rise and sunset and moon phases for your exact stand location via google maps. Then go hunt.

Anyone know what happened to the web site that was called something like ranalos or something like that. Game and fish forecast based on local weather. Can’t find that web site anymore and liked it for quick look ahead at upcoming weather changes.

On the weather I just meant that weather.com and wunderground.com are filled with ads, slow to load, and it isn't so easy to see wind direction and 7 day forecast. I'm sure there are others that do the same, just comparing what I used and stating the reason I will keep the app on my phone and not delete it.
Roger that. I certainly didn't mean to come off as attacking your post, or your reasoning behind using the app. If that's how it came off I sincerely apologize. Deercast just hasn't benefitted me personally. I use Weather Underground and the Huntstand app for the wind cone. Even the wind cone has proven to be relatively useless for me because it seems the topography of my land really screws with the wind. Every resource will tell me I have a certain wind, and then my wind checker makes a liar out of all of them. This thread has been an interesting read. Thanks for starting it.

^^ agreed. We have a mixture of deep valleys, fairly large tracts of timber, and open crop fields. I can check the weather all I want to try to determine which stand I am going to sit. For the most part I have to drive to the property and make the decision there because all the weather info isnt accurate when you consider how the wind moves across these types of terrain features.

^^ agreed. We have a mixture of deep valleys, fairly large tracts of timber, and open crop fields. I can check the weather all I want to try to determine which stand I am going to sit. For the most part I have to drive to the property and make the decision there because all the weather info isnt accurate when you consider how the wind moves across these types of terrain features.
Exactly. My property runs from the top of a hill down to a river. I can count on 1 hand how many times weather forecasts have matched up with my wind checker.

My son showed it to me a couple weeks ago. One of his buddies was using it. I like it so far. With the tap of a finger it gives me the same info that weather underground does. It just does it a couple seconds faster. But I still used both last weekend. I’ve got a busy schedule and I hunt on the days I have time to hunt. So I guess it won’t effect when I go or not very much but I’ll admit that it’s one additional factor that gives me a little confidence to stay focused or hunt a little longer. There are lots of variables in how and why we hunt certain stands on certain days but if it’s another useful tool that doesn’t take any extra effort or expense then I’m open minded about trying it.

Whats an "App"????:emoji_grin:

I have a piece of flagging ribbon tied to the kids old swing set out front... And a "weather rock"!

Whats an "App"????:emoji_grin:

I have a piece of flagging ribbon tied to the kids old swing set out front... And a "weather rock"!

You rich kids and your toys... Money's killing this sport :D