Done With Fruit Trees

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
I was riding my sxs past a few of my fruit trees yesterday when I noticed quite a few dead leaves on this Eliza’s Choice crab. I have no idea what is causing it. Thirty feet away is a Fuyu persimmon that died earlier this year.
IMG_1956.jpeg

Thirty feet to the east are a granny smith and an Arkansas Black apple that have each been stripped of all but one apple each by coons - and these apples arent ripe for three months yet

IMG_1957.jpeg
IMG_1958.jpeg

Further down the same row of trees, the pears have been decimated by fireblight

IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1882.jpeg
100 yards away - the peach and nectarine trees were all stripped of their fruit - regardless of duct work on the trunks and protective netting over the tree and removal of several dozen coons and possums in the last two months. The pear trees that were loaded have already been stripped of pears.

I spend far more time working on and around my 30 fruit trees - spraying, pruning, $100’s watering, etc - than I do my 40 acres of food plots.

This Eliza’s Choice was the last straw.

I understand how you feel, but don't get too depressed about that Eliza's Choice just yet. What you are seeing on that tree is a light case of Scab. People up north wouldn't call it light, but considering your location, that's not too bad at all. I even see a few leaves occasionally up here almost like that on the best of the best - like Liberty and Enterprise. That much won't cause your tree any long term damage, and you might not even see it every year.

If that tree had set fruit this year, the amount of Scab that you are seeing would not affect the crop at all. Good luck.

Time to get yourself a coon dog and some traps!

Time to get yourself a coon dog and some traps!
IMG_1973.jpeg

IMG_8966.jpeg

Got both. Dont do much coon hunting anymore unless freezing cold because the coons head to water and the water is full of gators. I have caught several dozen coons in last couple weeks and another dozen early june and another in Mar. I got a grand daughter that loves her some coon trapping😁

Awesome. I coon trap when I can to help turkeys. Just started in the last year.

What do you do with the coons? I can’t stand them! Huge pita.

Do you ever make toothpicks out of the coon peckers? You could get rich. I just looked on Amazon and coon pecker toothpicks sell for over $13 each.

Last edited:
Do you ever make toothpicks out of the coon peckers? You could get rich. I just looked on Amazon and coon pecker toothpicks sell for over $13 each.
A few years ago I made a set of 25 and painted them up like candy canes for Christmas tree decoration. Looked pretty good. I am not sure the recipient of that present was as proud of them as I was.

It would be downright poetic to make a bin and compost those coons and put them right back on the trees they were trying to strip.

It would be downright poetic to make a bin and compost those coons and put them right back on the trees they were trying to strip.
I would if it would keep them out. Kill a hog and the others hogs shy away for awhile. Kill a coon and they are proud you did, more food for the living