Dolgo seedlings as root stock for other crabs

I will have to check into their sale, as a kid I grew up in New Holstein on the east side of the state and have relatives and friends that still live in Sheboygan co and the big city proper.

Actually just pulled it up on the computer... the sale is still open till feb 20th. and they even sell some apple peach pears and plums 18.00 a tree for a 4-5 footers. Not to shabby of deals. Local pick up 2-4th of May. I see that many of the districts order from alpha then bulk break.
Yes their stock is always nice, I bought many years from them. Lately I just do mail order as my free daylight gets very limited that time of year. Usually planting trees wearing a headlamp lol.
They usually have a circus tent full of extra trees so you can buy additional when you do your pick up. Bought some reliance peach as a impulse buy, made fruit the same year. Very impressive for 18 bucks

Dolgo would work just fine for just about any apple/crap you wanted to graft to it. The incompatibility issues arise with Siberian crab as a root stocks.

As @sandbur alluded to its all how good your dirt is when it comes to seeing if Dolgo would do as well or maybe even better than B118, Antonovka, Ranetka, etc....

How do these seedlings do in wetter ground? I have a place by my house that doesn’t hold water but we it rains it can be moist for several days. I think I’m gonna get some Dolgo seedlings through burnt ridge as they have some other things I want as well.

I just used Dolgo seedling suckers for rootstock a few minutes ago. I have some Dolgo seedling trees growing in sand that tests out at 0.8% organic matter. The soil moisture is high right now due to rains. I stuck my hand into the soil around the sucker, found a spot below its own roots, snipped if off there, and gave it a yank. Then I harvested another one as well. I found a few materials around deer camp and grafted them both. It took about 30 minutes each, end to end, from discovery to graft completion. They will be back in the ground before nightfall.

Attachments

• Rainy Day Project.jpg
    Rainy Day Project.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 21
I grafted thirteen or fourteen to dolgo rootstock about two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk