Does deer blowing always = busted?

This evening, I saw about 15 and almost everyone of them ended up blowing. And spooking. About a third tried to come back into the area - including an upper 140’s buck that got up 15 yards away, saw something wrong and spooked and ran off. He stopped and blew for five minutes - then came back about thirty yards and spooked again and ran off and started blowing. I never could get a shot at him.

I think a bob cat can get them to blowing.

A few years back I had a young doe living close to the house. I named her Tator Tot. She like hanging out.

It was a late September evening and I was on stand and a gaggle of deer ( does fawns) came up the service road. One smelled me and convinced them all to feed on the field out of bow range.

I was in a cotton wood and the shade it provided made for more lush growth. Well out came tator tot on the same trail she smelled me glee fully bucked grunted and started feeding and playing directly under me.

Well them other deer came back under me………then a group of bucks showed up to check the does. I didn’t see any big enough to burn my tag on. But it was a wonderful memory.

Last year Tator tot had a buck fawn. It would go ballistic spooking at me. It could not stand ol Tator tot being so nonchalant about our encounters. Even bowled her over once spooking.

Last edited:
I have seen does blow at bucks on numerous occassions

I've called to bucks and had them blow at me. They weren't spooked. I think they wanted the unknown buck to show itself.

I have watched a fox run around and then shortly after heard a deer blow that was not downwind or in sight of me.

i had a deer spot me (barely) while turkey hunting in the spring. It started blowing and I just hid and stayed still. Eventually I hit my turkey call and the deer calmed down and went about it’s business cautiously. Eventually it got down wind of me and bolted and snorted.