Doe bedding areas...can you create them in non-typical spots?

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
I have been reading about doe bedding areas and from what I can tell is most doe will bed in the vicinity of food/water. Outside of this requirement, they will typically pick spots based on cover, wind direction, and if hill country is involved on the east facing sides. I have been noticing that the 120 acres I hunt is old/mature hard woods so deer do not really bed on the property but they certainly visit it for the acorns and the couple food plots I have. I am interested in trying to get some doe to bed on the property itself. The problem is most of the property is on the western side of a mountain, not a super steep mountain. I would say 90 of the 120 acres is on the western facing mountain side with the other 30 acres being on the top of the mountain not particularly facing any direction. So is it worth timber stand improving this side to make cover for bedding OR will they likely still not bed there? Thanks!

Last edited:
I would pick a few 1/10 to 1/4 acre areas with low value trees and start dropping trees to make a few thick areas. Drop enough trees so lots of sun hits the ground and you will have a few bedding areas.

I would also plan out the locations so you can effectively enter and exit your stands without bumping the deer bedded in these areas.

I would pick a few 1/10 to 1/4 acre areas with low value trees and start dropping trees to make a few thick areas. Drop enough trees so lots of sun hits the ground and you will have a few bedding areas.

I would also plan out the locations so you can effectively enter and exit your stands without bumping the deer bedded in these areas.
How far do you like these areas to be away from the food plot and paths you might walk in? Will it matter if there is not a water source near by? How far should that water source be? I could potentially make some man made water sources.

Having a water source nearby is helpful, but not necessary. You could put a watering hole on the edge of your food plot - give the deer one more reason to head there. I like having a thick areas far enough from the plots so you can slip in and out without the bedded deer knowing. In my area 100 yards usually works well. I also put some bedding areas behind that - it seems like the does bed closer to the plots and the bucks bed farther back.

Having a water source nearby is helpful, but not necessary. You could put a watering hole on the edge of your food plot - give the deer one more reason to head there. I like having a thick areas far enough from the plots so you can slip in and out without the bedded deer knowing. In my area 100 yards usually works well. I also put some bedding areas behind that - it seems like the does bed closer to the plots and the bucks bed farther back.
Thanks! I have a perfect area I think for what you describe to do both a doe and buck bedding site.

A picture is worth a thousand words.... I think a google earth image of the land might help a bit too with some added thoughts. Being on a mountain or a big hill unless you have a spring I would guess water might be a limiting factor and I would be inclined to put those in as a priority. There a ton of factors that may come into play... how much neighboring hunting pressure is there, is there bedding cover immediately adjacent to your property do you really need to create bedding cover or is it lacking and needs to be there. I think in general anywhere you create thick enough cover, if its in proximity to food deer will use it. Like mentioned if your hunting your plot keep the bedding area back enough to get into your stand without being noticed. I think if you hopped around your land and created some micro open areas with some tree tops laid in, even on the west slope (military crest areas), you would create bedding areas and browse pockets that the deer would use. Having mature trees with acorns is a big plus its just nice to have healthy mix of Mast and cover.

I once made a doe bedding area simply by smearing Evercalm on some trees near a deer trail through some sparse briars in otherwise open forest. If your deer density is high enough, you should get does bedding on your property by doing what was mentioned by the posters above. They like cover near food and water. They also like to know other deer bed there.

So, I’m going to offer a little bit different opinion here because I’m starting to notice this on my property and it relates to predator pressure both of the 4 legged kind and 2 legged variety. I do a lot of habitat work in the summer months so this could contribute too.

This winter I specifically started looking for beds and when I found one. I would kneel down in it and look around to see what the deer can see. After doing this. It’s apparent to me that food/water is only small part of it. It’s all about security but not necessarily thick cover like is often talked about.

One area where I found beds. It was clear that the main objective was to watch the road that vechicles and people could travel, mainly access In one full direction and then in the other direction it was 15 year hardwood regeneration that has a decent stem count but you can still see 30-40 yards. I’m absolutely convinced this is also so that if any predators are traveling though the woods, it’s enough space to recognize and make an exit.

location 2. Is in creek bottom that is tag alders. Anywhere the tag alders opened up some. Deer would bed. Picture tags spaced 15 - 20 feet apart and you can see up the ledge on both sides 60 feet and just enough side cover to make it hard for anything to see down into it. Any area that was wall to wall tags didn’t have a single bed. Again I perceived this bed to be all about security and making a quick exit.

last we had some rough weather this summer and nocked down some trees. Nothing major just some that fell in an L shape. Which again was on an edge that deer can see 40 yards in every direction.

moral of all of this, security is king in a deers eyes, anything you do, don’t make it too thick but make sure to give them atleast 2 exits. If it’s a safe area or an area they can sense danger more easily, they’ll use it. Use that to advantage.

The details about your specific property will largely determine the answer to your question. Is it safe to assume that west is the predominate wind direction with approaching fronts in the fall and winter? If so, you will find most deer bedded on the leeward side, that has been my experience at least. Leeward slopes offer quick and easy protection in hill country. In low wind scenarios you may find plenty of deer on that west slope. Deer don't seem to mind bedding in open hardwoods in my area. The hills give them good vantage points and allow them to observe approaching threats and thats where I find most deer bedding.

Yes, please show us your results ....

I have been reading about doe bedding areas and from what I can tell is most doe will bed in the vicinity of food/water. Outside of this requirement, they will typically pick spots based on cover, wind direction, and if hill country is involved on the east facing sides. I have been noticing that the 120 acres I hunt is old/mature hard woods so deer do not really bed on the property but they certainly visit it for the acorns and the couple food plots I have. I am interested in trying to get some doe to bed on the property itself. The problem is most of the property is on the western side of a mountain, not a super steep mountain. I would say 90 of the 120 acres is on the western facing mountain side with the other 30 acres being on the top of the mountain not particularly facing any direction. So is it worth timber stand improving this side to make cover for bedding OR will they likely still not bed there? Thanks!

My sense is that this is a location based question. In some areas you have very strong natural factors that are hard to overcome. In mountain country, terrain and thermals are pretty consistent day after day morning to evening with variations based on prevailing wind direction. In areas line mine with rolling terrain, there seem to be no overriding natural factors. My deer change bedding areas day to day. We clear-cut some low quality hardwood stands and conducted controlled burns to keep them in early succession and provide bedding cover. They are clearly used by our deer, but when other factors change like hunting pressure, food source locations, prevailing wind. Our deer tend to bed in different places. I can make certain areas more attractive as bedding by manipulation, but that is about it. Habitat changes outside or 378 acres are another strong influence out of our control.

So, I don't think there is one answer to this general question.

Thanks,

Jack

In my experience doe and fawns are easy to figure out. Have a food source, with some downed trees around it, they will bed there. Deer eat, then find a safe feeling place close by and chew their cud.

I think cutting big non wanted trees on high ground is a good idea, deer love to bed in the downed tops. It doesn't really take that many and the deer will use them, it is always good bedding for years after select logging around here if tops are left on the ground.

I think their concept is pretty simple. Safety without being confined. This means having some sort of back cover to create some distance and to remain hidden and having the means to use their other senses to detect danger at a distance. This typically means taking advantage of a steady wind direction or thermals as well as using some sight distance or even a slight elevation advantage to see. Then have this in an area where they can slip away to thicker cover if needed. I seldom see them bed in thick dense cover....more so on the edge of some sort of cover with that thicker cover not far away.