Do we (bowhunters) wound less or more deer these days?

B

BJE80

So we have all these fast bows. Carbon risers. Drop away rests. 6 pin sights. Fancy broadheads. Dog Trackers. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Do we wound and ultimately lose more or less deer % wise these days vs the old slow bows where BH's were cheap and just simply sharp?

My guess is that more are wounded now...but that would be due mainly to the fact that many folks are bowhunting now than back in the day

Perhaps you missed my % wise?

Of course more are wounded now summed. But are we wounding more deer per kill these days?

I would say for me it has been about the same most of my bowhunting years. Yes I did miss the first 6 shots I took with a bow at a deer when was a kid. But once I killed one, I have continued to kill most but occasionally wound some. I do believe most wounds have been non lethal but I can think of two does that I know died and I suspect there have been a couple of bucks that died but I never found.

Sometimes the big predators in Africa wound their prey and don't make a kill. Sh!t will happen.

More for two reasons.

#1- because of tv and because the equipment is better people have a unrealistic believe that they can hit and kill a live deer at 55 yards each and every shot

#2- people just don't give a ****. this goes for life in general nowadays, not just hunting. they don't respect the animal enough to not take the questionable shot.

I still hunt with traditional bow and wood arrows so my shots are all close range. If there is a higher % of wounded animals I think it's from longer ranges. If everybody kept their shots under 20 yds it wouldn't be an issue. IMO.

For me personally I have been bow hunting for 9 years now. I have never wounded a deer, every shot has been a kill shot & every one recovered. I have let many go by that have been out of my comfort zone for taking the shot.

For me personally I have been bow hunting for 9 years now. I have never wounded a deer, every shot has been a kill shot & every one recovered. I have let many go by that have been out of my comfort zone for taking the shot.
Thats quite an accomplishment! I haven't wounded a deer in quite a few yrs. prolly 7 yrs or so. I think I have learned how to slow myself down an focus not just go into auto piolit an fling an arrow. Kind of like hitting a base ball. Gotta focus on nothing else. Aim small miss small!
I think equipment is all around better these days intern I think hunters are more successful wounding less deer.

I have wounded only 2 of all deer I have shot in my 10 years of hunting. The first was a doe my first year bow hunting, pretty sure I shot above the spine. The 2nd was a buck 2 years ago this week that I hit the shoulder at 38 yards and got almost zero penetration, I found the arrow 30 yards from the shot with the broad head and 3 inches of arrow missing. I keep the arrow displayed as a reminder of that deer, it really motivates me to shoot more in the off season and since then I have been more prepared than ever