Do radishes typically start growing again in the spring?

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
Went to check things out this past weekend and noticed the radishes I planted last fall appear to be growing again. We had a very mild winter. Is this common?

Also I'm amazed how big some of them got. This one was bigger than a softball.

radish.jpgradish 2.jpg

Not under normal circumstances, but perhaps this ultra mild winter in the north country has caused radishes to morph into perennials. Who knew?

Looks like a barkant turnip to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's normal for turnips and some radishes to be biennial if winter temperatures don't kill them off. If you let them grow they will likely bolt and then produce seeds, completing their life cycle.

Looks like a barkant turnip to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry yes it was a purple top turnip.

in that case, yes

Sometimes I'll mow the tops of radishes about this time of yr to stop them from going to seed. They are all in full flower right now. Quite beautiful. Not unusual to re seed and start growing again in the summer. They get a big growth spurt early spring around here. { La.}

Last year I had thousands of turnips overwinter and bolt in mid summer. The deer absolutely loved them for daytime bedding and when I mowed them before a nice rain, the clover underneath blew up and was the best I’ve ever had.

Hoping for the same thing this year….frost seeded clover a few weeks ago.

Here’s a pic of my front field..it was so warm this winter a bit north of you Pat that they barely touched the turnips and now most of them (the lighter shade of green) are starting to bolt..I’ll take the free seed when I mow it in the late summer! Maybe next winter will be cold enough for them to need it!IMG_0950.jpeg