Direction of food plot

Early Bird

5 year old buck +
I have 110 acres of property in southern Ohio. The property in in hill country, mostly rolling and for the most part not overly steep. I currently have one food plot that is one acre and I am going to add an additional food plot that will be about 1/2 acre. The food plot will be a basic rectangle approximately 100 x 200. My question is what is the best way to face the plot so it gets the most sun? I will add this is in a lower elevation at the bottom of a sloping hill, that is south facing. My plan is to plant a mixture of Rye and brassicas.

Thanks,
Ray

Generally, long side runs west to east so you get the most sun. But, it depends a lot on what's on the edges and where the shadows are during the day. Look at the area throughout a sunny day and orient the plot to where it gets the most sun.

I would first start with where to put stand locations and entry and exit points before being concerned with orientation.

Good replies already, but I will add that the surrounding terrain can play a factor here too. How tall are the surrounding hills? Are there big trees blocking/shading the plot?

Thanks for replies. The plot will be in a valley so I am not planning on hunting the plot, just the trails leading to it on higher ground. I just want to maximize the plot growth with most sun possible in that type of area.

Ray

Another thing to consider is soil erosion, especially if working the ground. A plot going up/down could potentially erode over time if you work it all at once, and of course depending on the steepness of the slope. Since it's already south facing, I wouldn't think the architecture will be too much of an issue with sunlight.

With the others - I would also look at from a hunting / access perspective.

East-west

I would first start with where to put stand locations and entry and exit points before being concerned with orientation.
I agree. Being from SE Ohio, I am dealing with some of the same topography. I have put in small plots before and then realized the predominant wind was rarely ever right for the stand locations I had available.

VV

V V M, what size plots have you put in? Have you put them in a lower area? What has been your experience?

Ray

V V M, what size plots have you put in? Have you put them in a lower area? What has been your experience?

Ray
My largest is a little over 2 acres (clover), but most are around 1/2 acre or even smaller because the hills leading in are too steep to get even an ATV or my UTV into. My property is flat on top with a bench running around both sides and I have put 3 different plots on those benches and have had mixed success. Like I said earlier, wind direction is my biggest adversary with the benches. On one side of the property, there really is no predominant wind. It can blow any given direction on any given day with most days having a swirling wind. Mornings are better than evenings because most of the time the thermals will keep my scent on the rise. I have killed deer on these plots, but much like the doe I killed earlier this season, she came in when the wind was in my favor. If she had come in 5 minutes earlier or later, who knows what direction it would have been swirling? I fretted about it a lot after I purchased the property, but have come to realize it is what it is and I will do the best with what I have.

VV

I appreciate the response. I am having the same problem with the winds/thermals, most days the wind in light and variable. I am getting it figured out but slowly. I have 1 plot that is 1 acre and it gets pretty beat up by November. I want to add another plot or two that will hopefully take some stress of the 1 acre plot. I rarely hunt the food plot just in the area on travel routes. The reason I was concerned about the direction is that the only area that is flat enough for a food plot is in low areas and I want to maximize sunlight. I'm not overly concerned about hunting the actual plot. Thanks again!

Ray