Digging up and transplanting large apple trees.

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
A couple years ago I ordered some antovonka and regents crabs. My plan was to plant them on my property 5hrs away. I temporarily planted them in my garden at home.I wasn't able to get them up there before they all leafed out. The same plan for this year fell thru again. Now these tress are huge. (6 to 10 ft tall). Any tips on trying to dig these up and move them? Is it worth it to try? I have a tractor at home with a loader. Try digging them up with bucket? Loose up the soil around them and pull them out with a strap? Or is it not worth it and just start over with new seedlings. I just don't won't to go thru all this work if I will damage the roots and they have a low survival rate.

Attachments

• 20240830_150613.jpg
    20240830_150613.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 12
Well never mind I typed out a bunch and then saw the 5hrs away.I would plant new ones and cage

I emptied a 12x12 garden filled with trees this spring. I got my heavy clay sol real wet, then used a pitch fork to loosen the roots.

I'd take shovel chop int othe soil in a circle around them, maybe a 3-4ft diameter circle. Then wet the soil and do what you can to loosen up with a pitch fork Yuo are much better taking soe pruning shears and snipping out deep roots than trying o yank them out.

I gave away 2/3rds of my nurrsery. Not sure if all lived, but the ones I moved are all doing good.

I feel transplanting in the fall when they're dormant is the best time to do it. A few tree nurseries even ship out in the fall, but not many.

No backhoe? Front end loader won't dig what you need to. If you chop and dig a bit around the circle, you can use the loader to help it out. But, most of the work will be you.

I did leave one tree in my nursery spot, but dug up it's neighbors. That tree is doing great this year. Kerr on antonovka roots.

Regular antonovka even more seedling antonova isn't a high caliber deer tree. Regent might be interesting. If not a nusaince, I would leave one of the trees on either end there.