All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

digger/cultivator

How big of a tractor do you have Red?
Thats gonna take some HP to pull.

Or remove some of the shanks..... One thing I can see with that one is that they shanks are staggered so they will be pretty close in the final tillage which will lead to a lot of residue clogging if you dont have clean fields.

I would consider removing 2 shanks from the 2nd and 3rd rows.

The nice thing about cultivators is when you are working a new plot that has stumps ,one shank will trip while the rest still do their job.A disc ,the whole unit will pop out of the ground in the same spot.

Is that an old road grader in the background?? Some of those are pretty good stuff too.....if you can find an operator to sit on the seat and adjust stuff correctly (and add ballast).
I used to drive the tractor and my Dad was on the road grader...He shouted lots of orders at me. Brings back cool memories.

I think I have enough tractor for it. my tractor is 60 hp so I think it should pull it.
Any advice on using the digger. I would assume it works better at a faster speed?

That looks like a grader in the background. The neighbor at the farm has 2 sitting in the weeds and my uncle is trying to buy one from him. Not sure why but he thinks it will be fun. I know I'll be the ballast in that situation. Prior to the tractor we used an old horse drawn disc behind the ATV. I was always the guy who had to sit on the thing to adjust cut angles and add some weight. It was actually fun, for a while. Then it got real old, real fast.

I have one that's just like that except mine is a little narrower. Mine is around 8 feet wide I would guess. I was also concerned that I wouldn't have enough tractor to pull it, but my old Ford 841 does just fine with it. Those old John Deere implements are built like a tank and they're much cheaper than the new implements that are designed for food plots.

They do clog up if you have a lot of residue in the fields like corn stalks, so a disk might be better for that operation. But these diggers work great for breaking sod or digging up other areas with less residue.

Good to hear. Our tractors are about the same hp so I should be close. Might have to pull an outside shank or two if I don't have enough grunt. I'm excited to put it to the test.
This year residue shouldn't be a problem. In the future, I would think I could hit it with the brush mower then the digger to reduce residue problems. Our big disc might be quicker in that situation but my plots will be a bit chopped up and I'll only be looking to till select areas at any give time. So the smaller digger should be a lot more maneuverable.