Diesel Fuel - one way to handle it and pump it without "cans".

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
I see this topic come up from time to time.....and today I had to fill my deisel fuel drum....thought I would show how I handle my fuel these days.

A few years ago....I got tired of the 5 gallon can ordeal with diesel fuel and decided to try a better way. I got a "clean" oil drum from the local oil jobber and then bought a pump, filter, floor cart, and lifting strap - all off Amazon. Now I can lift the barrel into the back of my truck and strap it securely for a trip to the fuel station and load / unload safely. Filling my tractor is as easy as about 80 rotations of the pump. At first I tried skimping and not using the strap shown in my pics below......but the strap is worth the one-time investment and is the "right way" to lift this load. Pics tell the tale.
IMG_0197.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0195.JPG

I was able to get a deal on a used above ground tank that is a couple hundred gallons. I put a 120v pump on it and ran a wire through the barn for it. I put a switch inside the barn so I can turn off the pump when I'm not at the farm. If someone is going to steal diesel, they are going to have to pump it by hand. They would need tools to remove the pump to get at it, so it would be a PITA, but with diesel prices today, you never know.

It is a bit cheaper since I don't have to pay on road tax. I just call the local coop and they send a truck out to fill it each time I get down to about 9" in the tank. I find it much easier than dealing with a hand pump and barrel or 5 gal tanks. I just pull the tractor up and fill up.

For the excavator, I still use a 5 gal tank. It is too slow to bring back to the barn when I'm working on a project any distance away. I bought some plumbing parts and modified a 5 gal tank to make it easier to fill.

Thanks,

Jack

I have used several types of set up's , one thing I found that made my life easier was having the fuel delivered, I found working with the local deliver company's many times I could have them swing by when there in my area, as I have tings set up for easy filling.
having an account with them also means they can stop by and fill even if I am not there, its not for everyone I am sure, but that has saved me a lot of added steps
and on properties with a bunch of equipment, I can then buy and use Off road diesel, which is cheaper to burn in tractors and heavy equipment
and at today diesel prices, saving what you can is a bigger deal than ever!

I have used several types of set up's , one thing I found that made my life easier was having the fuel delivered, I found working with the local deliver company's many times I could have them swing by when there in my area, as I have tings set up for easy filling.
having an account with them also means they can stop by and fill even if I am not there, its not for everyone I am sure, but that has saved me a lot of added steps
and on properties with a bunch of equipment, I can then buy and use Off road diesel, which is cheaper to burn in tractors and heavy equipment
and at today diesel prices, saving what you can is a bigger deal than ever!
Yep...for sure. I have an oil Jobber just about a mile away. Could buy off road from him......but when I went past today....none of the trucks were there.....so I decided to go a mile father and fill at a station. Had to pay the tax.....but it is what it is.

I think my jobber would roll down to my place and fill that tank if I asked him.....but the "good road" into my land is under water for the second time it's done so. I do have another access road....but it's not good for a big truck. I suppose I threw $50 down the drain today..... f'n Biden.