Deer Stand Windows

foggy

5 year old buck +
After hearing about the cost of plexiglass from my BIL (whom has built a few blinds)......I decided there has to be a better way to put windows in a deer stand. I like the tempered glass windows in my Red Neck......so.....I did a little search yesterday gave me some answers.

You can buy tempered glass pre-cut to size.....at a fair price. For example a 14" x 48" tempered glass pane is $14.48 each. With some google work.....I found some hinges that clamp to the edge of the glass. Affordable too.

Had to do some driving today......and engineered a better method to make these hinges.....in my mind.

The materials could be bought much cheaper in quantity......and this screams for a small business opportunity to sell some good quality windows in a few sizes. It would be easy to get into this home-base biz and make a few dollars - in my mind.

If someone wants my idea on the hinges and glass sources.....let me know. I am retired. :D I think my window and hinge idea (and gaskets) would work for most wood framed blinds.

Would be interested in the hinge idea. Got a friend that is in the glass business so I'm sure I can talk him into experimenting for me.

Today I decided to "fix" some issues I had with some plexi blind Windows. I drilled some holes in the plexi glass and added a 16" length of bungi cord to the holes via a knot. Then added a small bolt at the top to apply pressure to the closed windows. Easy to open and stay tight shut. Used to have some screen door twist fasteners that did not snug 'em up nice and were noisy and hard to operate. Problem solved. :D
e643f966d0fb2788167f013a8c7e8e89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more pic of my solution to an old problem.
a604195e68688934e1ce76de3ae8e5ad.jpg

The guys that sell these blinds must not check any of their engineering. The plastic hinges broke....and were extremely squeaky. Bad. They were "bonded" to the plexi. I had to break them off and install some metal hinges. Then the closure devices were really rookie stuff. I hate it when nobody thinks about doing this stuff right.....and I gotta re-do it all. Even now....this outfit continues to sell this same set-up. Sad.

Rant over. :D

Took a few pics of the hinges in my Red Neck blind too. I see a pair of these hinges on-line for a couple of bucks. Add the price of the tempered glass....and you could have a good window set-up for under $20 each. Wonder why more folks don't do this?

Pic to follow on next post.

Pic of hinges for red neck blind.
f3490953d05a09163b449e87b405f065.jpg

These affordable hinges simple "clamp" to the edge of the smoked / tempered glass. Nice. If I were building a blind for myself....this is the set-up I would emulate. Easy/affordable/quality.

Last edited:
Same style of hinges you see on most entertainment centers with glass doors.

^ yep. And only about $3 per pair.

I fought myself a long time about the windows for my recent blind build. I like those hinges shown above and wish I'd seen this prior. I ended up making frames and dato'ing a groove for my plexiglass to sit in and then used regular hinges to mount them. My current issue is some of my frames ended up warping a little and thus they aren't closing tight. I'm also trying to figure out a way to cheaply seal the windows to the side of the blind.

I fought myself a long time about the windows for my recent blind build. I like those hinges shown above and wish I'd seen this prior. I ended up making frames and dato'ing a groove for my plexiglass to sit in and then used regular hinges to mount them. My current issue is some of my frames ended up warping a little and thus they aren't closing tight. I'm also trying to figure out a way to cheaply seal the windows to the side of the blind.

I considered this issue too....with the weatherstripping. I thought about making the glass about 3/4" larger than the opening.....and applying self-adhesive closed cell foam weatherstripping to the glass (easy surface to adhere to?). That would make the windows quiet and seal them from insects, dirt, weather and such. A sloped window sill would divert water away.....but with inside windows there will always be some slight leakage to the blind interior. Could have windows hinge up, or down.....but I prefer the windows to hinge "up" as this provides an area for a "shelf" at the window to hold a shooting bag.....and the window are out of the way of heaters, etc.

One thing to consider, I used weather stripping and it sticks the window shut after setting closed for a long time. I have to crack the seal right when I get in the blind. I used deer view hinge windows.

sorry for the ignorance guys but what thickness glass would you recomend?

sorry for the ignorance guys but what thickness glass would you recomend?

I'd buy the thinest available. But you may need to support the center from bowing ......on a long piece (say 36" or more). I think 3/16" glass is about the thinnest tempered glass commonly avaialbe....IIRC.

To keep the glass from bowing.....one could use an adhesive to bond a strip of small angle aluminum to the glass. should do the trick. ;)

thanks foggy

I used 1/8" tinted plexiglass but I framed them with wood. If I used the above shown hinges, I would have bought 1/4" plexiglass.

I used 1/8" tinted plexiglass but I framed them with wood. If I used the above shown hinges, I would have bought 1/4" plexiglass.

Why would you choose plexiglass???......when you could buy tempered, tinted "real" glass for less???? o_O

Why would you choose plexiglass???......when you could buy tempered, tinted "real" glass for less???? o_O

Just what I was able to find online. I paid $108 for 8 12x36" tinted pieces of which $25 was the delivery charge. I thought $10.50 each was a decent deal (its always those damn shipping charges that get ya).