All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deer Shedding Antlers Yet

Snow on the ground and the ticks are out already? Great. You suppose this will be a bumper year for ticks?

Not much snow left here. The deer ticks have been crazy here the last few years. I took my dogs with me yesterday and deer ticks were nuts on them when we got home. Only found one embedded and the rest were crawling on the top of their fur. I bet I spent at least two hours checking them over last night.

Not much snow left here. The deer ticks have been crazy here the last few years. I took my dogs with me yesterday and deer ticks were nuts on them when we got home. Only found one embedded and the rest were crawling on the top of their fur. I bet I spent at least two hours checking them over last night.
Do you use Frontline? Prior to using it we were always finding ticks embedded in our retriever. Now we have gotten to the point where we don't even check him because when we do we don't find any.

I have the dogs on Nexgard. I always used Frontline but both dogs got nabbed with Lymes last May.

I have the dogs on Nexgard. I always used Frontline but both dogs got nabbed with Lymes last May.
Sorry to hear that :(

Friend got a nice 10 on camera in Monticello last week with head gear still in tact.....

I havent had a pic of a buck with antlers in about 10 days now. I just took a quick stroll on a south facing slope that is a transition of bedding to a staging area. I would say that it was about 40% bare ground. No sheds on on this walk. I am usually holding a few by the time second week of march rolls around....this is the latest i have gone with out picking one up....oh well. By the end of the week we should have a lot more bare ground showing. Since it was a pretty tough winter deer were pretty concentrated on food sources so I'm thinking once i find one....i'll have a day when i pick up a few all in one small area.

After frost seeding some clover in this morning, I decided to do a quick walk by our cornfield. While walking the perimeter of it, I found a broken tine and I was happy with that. I walk literally 10 yards further and found a left side off a stud 2 year old. Can't wait to see what this guy turns into as a 3 year old!

Still a few nice ones sporting bone! A few of those may have dropped with the warm-up in the last 7 days or so. What's in the tree tubes in the last pic?

After frost seeding some clover in this morning, I decided to do a quick walk by our cornfield. While walking the perimeter of it, I found a broken tine and I was happy with that. I walk literally 10 yards further and found a left side off a stud 2 year old. Can't wait to see what this guy turns into as a 3 year old!

looks like that 5 point side from the stud 2 yr old has been laying for a little while with how white it is already.

Was up to my camp yesterday to prune apples and crabs. Another member showed up and neither of us could find any sheds yet, but the snow was between knee and crotch deep in the places the sun doesn't get to. We had a LITTLE bare ground - mainly at the bases of pine trees. The apple tree prunings should make the deer happy for a couple nights. I left them out in a sunny location where several trails in the snow showed deer moving toward our plots. They'll trip over the limb cuttings if they keep travelling the same way !! Another week of warmer weather and we may have a prayer of finding sheds.

We got out for a couple of hours this morning, man the weather was perfect for it! This was my best trip out ever, and I didn't find a one haha. image.jpg

Pulled the card from a camera yesterday and had 2 bucks still with horns on each from this past week.

I saw a couple hundred deer yesterday morning in SD at sunrise. Only 1 nice 8 point was still carrying.

Did you have that deer on cam?

I count 26 sheds.... How many acres covered to find that?

I have found maybe 5 in my life here in the great state of MN.....

Nice find, MO.

That's cool, MO. Shed hunting has never really excited me, but I'd be lying if I pretended that finding large, undamaged sets doesn't give me a rush. spent the last 4 days working in the timber. I found a bunch of sheds, but the only matched set was off a stud 2.5 in a buck bed I'd made (he was already bedding there. I just gave him a little extra cover. those are the only scenarios I find myself making "buck beds" in any longer. Since they are already bedding there, it's not exactly a great accomplishment).

OUCH! Hate to see one like that ... what did he score?

well i finally got on the board. I have only been out twice on bonafide shed hunts so far this season....but i have managed to squeak in a few "lunch break" walks....my property is about 4 miles from my office. Its an oldie, but its in great condition considering im pretty sure this one has been on the ground since january 2012. I believe this to be a match to a shed i found on January 25th of 2012. I called this buck wideload and I have a pretty extensive history with him. this oldie makes it two sets of sheds and one single from him. this shed matches up his set from 2011/12 when he was a 3 yr old.