Deer Magnet Persimmon

White Birch Farm

5 year old buck +
Restored this old, wet field edge by ditching and berming. It was previously reforested by low quality Red Maple, Autumn Olive and MFR before I bought the property. Then planted 8 BH Deer Magnet Persimmon trees. Elsewhere, I have Dollywood, Wonderful, Prok, Yates, Meader, Ichi-Ki-Kei Jiro, Rossyanka, and a few others.

EF272A18-BCEE-4942-B00E-F3AF511607C6.jpeg

Tell us more about your experience with ditching and berming( techniques,experience,etc)

thanks,

bill

Bill,

i have literally done well over a mile of ditches and berms on the farm. Basically open the ditch with a plow throwing the dirt to the berm side. You can also use the plow at shallower depths on each side of the original line to broaden the ditch. Then, I use a straight (scraper/rear) blade to straighten things out and form the berm. As I get closer to finishing I usually do that with a landscape rake. Ideally, after initially doing the work, let it get rained on good a time or two to settle before finishing it up. Because you are both raising the berm and draining the surrounding area you can easily convert areas where trees like chestnuts and apples would not be appropriate and make just about anything work.

looking great bud, amazing level of work you are doing in a great location.