DEER FOUND THEM Bucky Poplar Cuttings

strawhead

5 year old buck +
index.php

Above picture is before the deer started browsing. This picture was posted in the "Native Habitat" section.

The picture below is the same group. I did not use any of the deer repellent spray. I wish I would have. It was a decision that I thought would be okay because of our low deer numbers. Only takes a few deer, a few nights to browse the leaves and tender tips. The picture is after leaf drop, but the leaves were gone in Aug. and Sept. There are cuttings in the middle and 6" in on each edge. I again made a poor decision not to keep the edges better cleared of grasses.

In hindsight, I wish I would have used a deer repellent spray throughout the growing season. I would not plant three rows again. I would plant 2 rows. I could then weed eat the edges of the fabric easier, without having to worry about damaging the cuttings.

I'm confident the trees will take off in the spring, and I will be taking better actions to help them grow.

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

If they rooted well they should recover. John kinda preaches to trim some way back and see what kind of brushy mess they grow back as. Hope they do! Mine did that year one, started strong year two and severe drought and lack of sun got me year two.

If they rooted well they should recover. John kinda preaches to trim some way back and see what kind of brushy mess they grow back as. Hope they do! Mine did that year one, started strong year two and severe drought and lack of sun got me year two.

Yep, I would suggest the same for strawhead.... Save them trying to heal all of the browse damage. Cut them back to 6" nubs (you might end up with more than one with bucky, that's ok) and stand back. They will respond with a flush of growth that won't disappoint.

-John

I am very happy with the growth this year. They survived wonderfully from the browsing. I did spray them once this year with deer stopper and will keep it refreshed.2016-7-1 Road Trees (1).JPG