Deer damage

b116757

5 year old buck +
I was at my uncle’s place in northern Wisconsin last week they had a very long hard winter for the deer with about 4’ of snow on the ground the deer could easily reach over the fences he had around some of his fruit trees some of the bigger ones he had removed the fences years ago and this was the result they stripped the bark from the trees they where starving. I in my entire life have never seen deer in that area act like they did last week they barely had the strength to run from anything if you or a dog wasn’t actively chasing them they ignored you. It was like”If your not chewing on my leg we are good” my other uncle had one fawn living under his deck all winter he said it would eat corn out of a pail he was holding. This is a photo of one of the larger trees he had removed the fence from they nearly removed 50% of the bark.

Attachments

• 17C83B8D-D410-40AF-8D4B-A7F9528F2FB6.jpeg
    17C83B8D-D410-40AF-8D4B-A7F9528F2FB6.jpeg
    681.5 KB · Views: 39
Yikes

Wow. Never saw tree bark being stripped before.

The deer up there when I was a kid would yard up in large white cedar swamps in heavy snow years but lots of folks had been feeding the deer up there year round for a couple decades. I suspect the old does thet new where to yard up in winter have been dead for a good number of years and the current generation has no idea where to go.