Dead Deer in Pond and Killing Black Locust

blueKYstream

5 year old buck +
While out checking on a few things on the farm, I noticed something floating in the pond from the other side. At first, I thought it was one of the cows. When I got closer, I realized it was a deer. I wasn't sure what may have killed this deer. Normally, I would think EHD would be during dry spells. It's been wet here though. Not sure what else may make a deer go to water and then die.

On another note, I have a ton of black locust invading the perimeter of the pond. I've tried to kill it for several years by cutting it about 18-24" and applying triclopyr (25% with diesel at 75%) conservatively on stumps since it's not supposed to be applied near water. The only thing that's done is create a bigger mess with root sprouts. I cut some huge black locust down in my yard and applied triclopyr on the stump and I'm just now starting to see the sprouts slow down after two years of mowing them. It seems to work for just about everything else I've tried it on though. Any suggestions on herbicide and timing for black locust near a pond?

20240518_133906.jpg

Car hit I bet got in the water in an attempt to cool down and the wounds ended it there.

Try Milestone for the Black locust I’ve used it for honey locust control and I believe black is also listed on the label

I hadnt thought about a vehicle injury. Thay would make sense though.

I'll take a look at Milestone. I haven't had any issues killing honey locust with either triclopyr or glyphosate but black locust seems to shake off either from my experience.

I missed the part where your cutting the trees or sprouts for that I generally just use Tordon RTU but have had excellent control with hack and squirt of honey locust with 10% mix of Milestone and water.

After reading a bit about Milestone, I may try that with or without Garlon 4 that I have for basal bark treatment. I worry Tordon might not be a good option for using near a lake (I also worry about Garlon 4). I think I made the mistake of cut stump treatment. With black locust, I guess that might lead to root suckers no matter what is used. Thanks for the suggestion!

It could also be a fawning issue,animals can get just about every illness that humans can,I think it depends alot on what time of year you spray.I basal spray locust with remedy diesel mix in fall when pulling sap to roots.That tree is dead and no sprouts

The fawning issue was my first thought too. Yeah I think basal spraying is the way to go. Cut stump treatment works for just about everything else but black locust. I did it late summer and late winter with no luck on either. I'm going to try basal.

Crossbow herbicide will kill black locust of any size. I use around 8 ounces per gallon in hand sprayer. Mow then spray stubs, on bigger trees spray stumps, girdle big trees and spray the cut or drill a hole in tree and squirt in undiluted.

Crossbow herbicide will kill black locust of any size. I use around 8 ounces per gallon in hand sprayer. Mow then spray stubs, on bigger trees spray stumps, girdle big trees and spray the cut or drill a hole in tree and squirt in undiluted.
My concern with Crossbow, and perhaps to a lesser extent the Garlon 4 I have tried, is runoff or drift into the pond. I may be wrong, but I think Crossbow might pose a bigger. Neither are recommended for use near water though. The area I have to spray is surrounding a 2-acre pond that is where I take the kids fishing and we usually eat what we catch (also helps remove a pond that has high numbers). I was hoping to avoid a fish kill. Glyphosate I think would dissipate and pose litter or no risk but it won't kill locust (I've tried both stump and foliar spray).

Crossbow: This pesticide is toxic to fish and may be toxic to aquatic invertebrates. Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present, or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Drift or runoff may adversely affect fish and nontarget plants. Drift and runoff may be hazardous to aquatic organisms in water adjacent to treated areas. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment washwaters.