DCO's in zone 3? USDA says yes?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
After planting this year, I have pretty much run out of room on my property to do any large scale planting going forward. That is of course, barring any major failure in what I've done, or taking the chainsaw out to make more room. On my Sunday morning surf, I decided to see what the USDA said about the range of DCO. Here's what I found:

upload_2014-6-22_8-52-8.png
Is this proof enough to give it a try next spring in zone 3? I could swear I've read in the past that some have tried them in parts of MN and they haven't taken. Where are we at today with popular opinion this far north?

From Trees and Shrubs of Mn, book. Natuve chinkapin oak has been found only once in Mn....in Houston county (1899). Far southeast corner and has not been found at that site since.

Quercus muhlenbergiii Engelm.

No mention in the book of dwarf ....

I would stick with what "we" know, meaning the guys with first hand knowledge of how far north they will survive. The USDA isn't the one paying for failed plantings that most likely shouldn't have been attempted in the first place. This might be one of those times to let someone else's failures be your guide. Save your money and efforts for something a little more tried and true to your area.

I hear ya. I put in 12 bur oaks this year on a slight hill in full sunlight. I was fairly certain that was the answer, but it was a while back and couldn't quite remember. I guess I'll just wait and pamper those bur oaks as they come.

I have 10 DCOs that I purchased the plants from the Nebraska Arboretum, all have survived last years winter and 1/2 are growing very stongly and are about 30' tall. The other half seemed to be stalled to a very short height, not certain why.

I am looking for seeds if anybody knows where I can purchase them. The arboretum was out of them this fall. Next spring the arboretum may have some plants for sale but at $10 per plant they are expensive otherwise I'll wait until next fall.

I have 10 DCOs that I purchased the plants from the Nebraska Arboretum, all have survived last years winter and 1/2 are growing very stongly and are about 30' tall. The other half seemed to be stalled to a very short height, not certain why.

I am looking for seeds if anybody knows where I can purchase them. The arboretum was out of them this fall. Next spring the arboretum may have some plants for sale but at $10 per plant they are expensive otherwise I'll wait until next fall.
North Central Reforestation has/had them for around $5-6 per plug on their site this year. I'm not sure if they have them now, or will in the spring.