Cummin's Nursery - Facebook and Grafting/Pruning Class Schedule

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
I'm not sure how many people follow Cummin's Nursery on Facebook, but if you don't you probably should if you are interested in apples.

It seems this organization has made some significant changes in how they run their business, and I like the changes. In the past 2 or so years they have really become much more active in marketing on social media, as well as implementing an online ordering system. On Facebook they show some really cool time-lapse videos of the nursery staff pruning some of their massive and old apple trees. Cool stuff to see for those who are asking how to prune apple trees, watch how a pro does it. Lots of people also ask about grafting and pruning classes. Here you go, here is their 2017 schedule

Full Class Schedule:
Feb 5th: Grafting
Feb 18th: Grafting & Pruining (Groundswell)
March 5th: pruining
March 11th: grafting (POP-Philly)
April 2nd: fruit tree pruining (CCE)

All classes besides the March 11th one are located at the farm in Ithaca NY.
Shop.cumminsnursery.com

Why are all these cool grafting classes never anywhere near me. You guys get all the cool stuff.

I'm not sure how many people follow Cummin's Nursery on Facebook, but if you don't you probably should if you are interested in apples.

It seems this organization has made some significant changes in how they run their business, and I like the changes. In the past 2 or so years they have really become much more active in marketing on social media, as well as implementing an online ordering system. On Facebook they show some really cool time-lapse videos of the nursery staff pruning some of their massive and old apple trees. Cool stuff to see for those who are asking how to prune apple trees, watch how a pro does it. Lots of people also ask about grafting and pruning classes. Here you go, here is their 2017 schedule

Full Class Schedule:
Feb 5th: Grafting
Feb 18th: Grafting & Pruining (Groundswell)
March 5th: pruining
March 11th: grafting (POP-Philly)
April 2nd: fruit tree pruining (CCE)

All classes besides the March 11th one are located at the farm in Ithaca NY.
Shop.cumminsnursery.com

Too bad that link to the Univ. of MN "selecting your apple cultivars" has so many missing pictures it would be a nice link to send folks to. Pretty distracting with all the missing pictures though.

Matt

Where did you get the schedule of events. I would love to attend some of them but can't see where to sign up

Ouch. Just noticed on Cummins website about having 10000 cider varieties on dwarf rootstocks available because a custom order was cancelled. I assume they kept a big deposit but I am sure that still hurts.

10k? Holy crap!

Matt

Where did you get the schedule of events. I would love to attend some of them but can't see where to sign up

Facebook.

Ouch. Just noticed on Cummins website about having 10000 cider varieties on dwarf rootstocks available because a custom order was cancelled. I assume they kept a big deposit but I am sure that still hurts.

I love everything about Cummin's but their pricing. Their trees are so expensive. So grateful I manged to learn how to graft.

I have 60 trees coming from Cummins this year. I didn't think the prices were all to bad as long as you aren't just buying a couple. Total bill with shipping is $1100.

Time vs money. You might save money by buying huge spools of 10g steel wire and welding it into cages instead of buying remesh. Might even be fun for an hour.

I like grafting but I am happy I got a jumpstart by splitting a 50 tree order from Cummins. The price is reasonable and you get a good tree this spring. Factor in that you get to choose from so many varieties and rootstocks and can choose to pay more for a larger tree or less for a smaller one, their pricing is fine.

Time vs money. You might save money by buying huge spools of 10g steel wire and welding it into cages instead of buying remesh. Might even be fun for an hour.

I like grafting but I am happy I got a jumpstart by splitting a 50 tree order from Cummins. The price is reasonable and you get a good tree this spring. Factor in that you get to choose from so many varieties and rootstocks and can choose to pay more for a larger tree or less for a smaller one, their pricing is fine.
Yes I agree and in PA you can take advantage of the county conservation districts tree sales because they get the buying discount from some great nurseries like ACN and Boyer. I can pick up bareroot trees between $13 and $15 bucks but they only have 4 types usually but one near me always has 2 vintage varieties each year. Cummins is a class act but you do need bigger volume to make it competitive with other nurseries

For me, 8 trees and 10 rootstocks = $300.

I realize buying in quantity would help but again that still adds up to grafting. Some of my grafted trees have grown into 7-8' well feathered trees in 2-3 years. I dont see time as an issue with grafting.

For me, 8 trees and 10 rootstocks = $300.

I realize buying in quantity would help but again that still adds up to grafting. Some of my grafted trees have grown into 7-8' well feathered trees in 2-3 years. I dont see time as an issue with grafting.
Don't disagree but you do have losses and some of my cummins trees were bearing fruit in year 2 but then again some of my grafted trees did too lol. Grafting is the bomb !!!! So what was my point? Lol

I didn't expect to buy grafted trees once I learned to graft. But I did buy a Puget Spice crab from Cummins last year because I could not find scionwood. When I pruned it at planting, I used that wood to bench grafted myself another.

The previous year, I planted a bunch of rootstock along with my Cummins trees. I used the Cummins trees to tbud the rootstock that summer. So I think I've made my grafted tree purchases a bit more affordable by grafting from them.

Time is the biggest reason to get trees from Cummins, ACN, or SLN for our camp. We have a decent amount of $$$ from gas pipelines and timbering, so we chose to speed up the process and get growing. I have grafted a few that survived - and will graft a few more - but I have no complaints with any of those 3 nurseries. Grafting is really cool. I'll probably keep doing it just to supply wildlife trees for friends, relatives, or other camps that aren't close to ours. We want OURS to be the gold mine !!! ;)

I sent an email attempting to register for the grafting class and pruning classes. Hope there is still room.

I sent an email attempting to register for the grafting class and pruning classes. Hope there is still room.

Just got my confirmation email for the classes. I'm In! Should be a good way to spend a couple of late winter Sunday afternoons.

Just got my confirmation email for the classes. I'm In! Should be a good way to spend a couple of late winter Sunday afternoons.
Diesel and Paul, when are you guys planning to go?

I signed up for the Feb 5, March 5, and April 2 classes. I hadn't given grafting much thought before joining this forum, now I am anxious to give it a try. Really anxious to attend the pruning classes. I love to prune as I find it very relaxing but I am not confident in what I am doing.