Crimson with brassicas

We are in what they call the "Banana Belt" here at Lone Oak....Latitude 45.44 N.

We are 50 miles from Lake Michigan and 70 Miles from Lake Superior, on the Wisconsin Border, so we don't get any lake effect snow. The down side to that is we don't get any lake effect warmth either and ambient temps can get pretty cold - down to 35 below zero actual during cold winters.

We do still get snow but only 40-60 inches on average, whereas 70 miles north of us in Lake Superior country, 300-350 inches is not unusual.

Bottom line is that Crimson has overwintered well here until this year. That being said, the other clovers I planted with the Crimson did not do particularly well this year either so whatever the issue, it apparently wasn't unique to the Crimson.

Was there a difference in snow cover this winter?

Was there a difference in snow cover this winter?
Yes - we received 70.7 inches this year, which is the most we have had since I first planted Crimson.

Yes - we received 70.7 inches this year, which is the most we have had since I first planted Crimson.

Sometimes it's just weird stuff like that which can mean all the difference. More snow, less snow, late thaw, colder longer, etc.

This is crimson clover in this field.........It works well here.
If our deer actually ate it like that, I would seed it again. They don't per my picture above, so I really have limited use for it except on new ground with poor soil conditions.

So is the general sentiment crimson is more of a builder and less of a draw? Mammoth red is more balanced? Just trying to learn what I need to buy…. (Hahaha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk