Creating a mix

Powder

5 year old buck +
I'm looking at planting my fall plot this weekend. I'm planning on wr and three types of clover. I'll probably add a little radish too. What I'm confused on, and need help with, is the mix ratio. It seems like a lot of mixes use the full seeding lbs/acre for each individual seed. That seems like over kill.

If I'm putting in three types of clover that normally would call for 10 lbs/acre if planted in a monoculture, should I be using 3.3 lbs of each? This is assuming I want an equal amount of each type. Then do I add the full 50-80lbs of wr in addition to that? It just seems like this is a lot of seed and may not all be necessary.

You should reduce the amount per acre proportionally to the percentage of the mix they will occupy. You can add a bit extra if you are broadcasting. And you can withhold some of your rye in order to plant some later (some call it "layering").

I'm looking at planting my fall plot this weekend. I'm planning on wr and three types of clover. I'll probably add a little radish too. What I'm confused on, and need help with, is the mix ratio. It seems like a lot of mixes use the full seeding lbs/acre for each individual seed. That seems like over kill.

If I'm putting in three types of clover that normally would call for 10 lbs/acre if planted in a monoculture, should I be using 3.3 lbs of each? This is assuming I want an equal amount of each type. Then do I add the full 50-80lbs of wr in addition to that? It just seems like this is a lot of seed and may not all be necessary.

You can drop your clover & radish to ~25% of individual planting rates.

Regarding the WR, keep it at the full 60-80 lbs/acre. If you are in the north, I would hold off planting the WR until 1st week of Sept. If you plant now, it will become to tall & stemmy to be palatable for the deer. Keep in mind that the advantage that WR has is as a fall found source that stays green even after frosts when other green stuff starts to die off. Deer prefer WR that is young and short.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I don't have much choice but to plant now due to other commitments. I'm in very northern MN so I'm hoping it is still an okay time. Also, the only chance of rain in the next two weeks in next Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm afraid to wait any longer. Maybe I can layer more in later if it looks like more rain later in August.

The Green cover seed "smart mix" calculator would tell you to use 31% of the full rate for each seed if using 4 different seeds in a mix. This would get you close to your 3.3# mentioned on the clovers. Personally in high browse pressure areas like I'd expect any plots in heavily forested N MN to see, i like the idea of seeding a little heavier especially with seeds more sensitive to browse pressure.

If your clovers are perennial, you might not see much growth this fall.

I like the idea of at least layering some rye in late august/early sept to keep some more palatable stuff out there during hunting season.

Last edited:
I plant WR, Clovers and a brassica mix around August 1st.

For me, I didn't see much of the WR and clover until the next spring which left plenty of room for the brassicas. The clovers were tiny and the WR got to 8-10 inches before snow flew. The deer dug through the snow all winter in my plot but it is hard to tell what they were targeting except the obvious bulb's with bites out of them. I don't have much deer pressure and pretty crappy soil so I wouldn't say it is the norm, that is just how it worked out for me.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I don't have much choice but to plant now due to other commitments. I'm in very northern MN so I'm hoping it is still an okay time. Also, the only chance of rain in the next two weeks in next Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm afraid to wait any longer. Maybe I can layer more in later if it looks like more rain later in August.

WR will germinate down to temps of 32 F. Thats why a later planting and viable green food source is possible.

WR will germinate down to temps of 32 F. Thats why a later planting and viable green food source is possible.

Yep. Broadcasted leftover seed at home in Wright County MN mid Oct last year and it's still standing. Drilled mid Sept in Kanabec county and it was perfect for desirability last fall but for over broadcasting labor day seems like a safe play there on 4a/3b border.

Mix in about 25-30lb/acre of oats. Deer will pretty much eat oats at any stage. Good nursery crop to let the rye and clovers grow.

Clovers are not all the same seeding rates. Crimson can be around 15-20lbs an acre. Medium Red 8-12. white clovers 6-10 range. That monocrop rates.

Regal ladion, durana patriot, can even buy a bag od imperial white and mix it it. I believe regal makes a great medium red, but probably cant go wrong with any kind of medium red.