Crab apples for fall

Little big horn

A good 3 year old buck
I have a friend looking to plant a few crabs to plant this fall he checked starks they were out. Any ideas who may have any available thanks

Not sure if they have crabs or not....but chestnut hill is sending me some replacement trees (got the e-mail notification the other day) so you can look at their site and see if they offer any crabs. Most places are just now accepting orders for spring delivery....

It's tough to find crabs at this time of the year. Most have been sold out since spring. Are these for deer hunting purposes, just feeding deer no matter the drop time, or eating/sauce/cider?

thanks hes got some coming from them they had some hewes crabapples from them .

Big horse creek Farm out of Ashe County NC ships September-November. They take custom orders around ~March but also sell additional trees they grafted in the spring .

http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO you don’t gain anything planting in the fall vs spring. I’d just be patient and order what you want for spring shipping. 5 years down the road when you start getting fruit planting fall vs spring is negligible

IMO you don’t gain anything planting in the fall vs spring. I’d just be patient and order what you want for spring shipping. 5 years down the road when you start getting fruit planting fall vs spring is negligible

I would argue that you get the advantage of every drop of early spring rain plus snow melt on settled dirt and that the root structure gets an earlier jump from start planting in fall, which is important to me planting anywhere I can't baby them and have trouble toting water too. I do agree that five years down the road it makes no difference in growth spring vs fall planted.

Down south where I am (zone 7), fall / winter planting is much preferred over spring. Survival rates are higher...that’s been my experience.

If a guy had a few grafted trees in his nursery, could he dig them up and plant them now, even though they're green and growing? Or is that a big no no? Wait til they shed leaves and do it late fall? Just thinking of ways to spread out the workload.

Thanks Turkey Creek, will do. Hope you're getting settled in at your new crib.

Hey, I found this feed and thought it interesting. I couldn’t pass y’all up, I remember back in the 60’s you could count the deer you saw in a year on one hand but we had apple trees loaded so heavy with fruit we had to prop the limbs to keep them from breaking , I’m guessing they might have been crabapples. I have been searching for soft mass trees that will produce for me from pre-season on through season end. I found a new nursery in Pa. it’s called Bluehillwildlifenursery.com
Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery
I wish I knew how to post the link, I am impressed with this young man, his site and the trees he offers. I hope this might be helpful. I was so impressed that I placed my order from him.

Hey, I found this feed and thought it interesting. I couldn’t pass y’all up, I remember back in the 60’s you could count the deer you saw in a year on one hand but we had apple trees loaded so heavy with fruit we had to prop the limbs to keep them from breaking , I’m guessing they might have been crabapples. I have been searching for soft mass trees that will produce for me from pre-season on through season end. I found a new nursery in Pa. it’s called Bluehillwildlifenursery.com
Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery
I wish I knew how to post the link, I am impressed with this young man, his site and the trees he offers. I hope this might be helpful. I was so impressed that I placed my order from him.

Welcome to the forum. There is a thread here about that nursery. Here is the link:

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/looks-like-bluehill-is-finally-up.11346/

Just curious - how many trees did you order and how much was the shipping?

I'm curious on shipping too. I hope they can get that ironed out. I like the drop time chart feature on his website.

Welcome to the forum. There is a thread here about that nursery. Here is the link:

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/looks-like-bluehill-is-finally-up.11346/

Thank you for directing me to the other thread.
As for your question, I ordered 16 trees and shipping was less than 80. I am pleased with the shipping because I have researched other companies and shipping prices. I’m getting a much larger tree and being shipped by a company that was my preference.

Down south where I am (zone 7), fall / winter planting is much preferred over spring. Survival rates are higher...that’s been my experience.

I'm in zone 7 also, what months would you say are the best to plant bare root trees ?. Dec, Jan, Feb ?

Anytime after Thanksgiving is through mid February has has worked well for me.