All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coyote hunters

gunther89

5 year old buck +
I am looking for some advice on what to do with a group of local coyote hunters in our area. To make a long story short a local called my cousin and asked if they could coyote hunt our land. My cousin said they could on one section but on another to stay out. Well last weekend we checked cameras and we had 2 hunters and 2 dogs on camera in the section they weren't suppose to be in. I called the guy and he said the dogs got on a trail and ran onto our land and they went to get the dogs. I told him to not let it happen again.

What would you guys do? Would you have got the game warden involved and filed trespassing charges? These guys hunt basically every weekend in our area and I told myself if it happens again then I would get the warden involved.

They can't be cited for trespassing since u already gave them consent to be on your land. It's just like saying u can borrow my car for the afternoon. If it isn't returned until tomorrow, u can't be charged with theft.
Give them the boot if they over stepped their welcome. If your in wi the warden has no jurisdiction anyway, it would be your local sheriff.
Sounds like more than one person also owns the property. If another land owner have consent, they can't be prosecuted. Sounds like you need to get on the same page with your fellow property owners. That's a reason I own land by myself. It's all my call than.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well our property is split in half by a county road. My cousin told the guy which side he could hunt on and which side he couldn't.

I guess if it happens again the group will be kicked off all our land.

You might want to save yourself the heartache(and headache) and get them out now. There is really no point to waiting until it "happens again", it is only a matter of time before a yote on the "permission" side is chased and see's it's best route of escape as being to head across that road to the "no hunting" side and the dogs will instinctively follow. It's not the dogs fault, it's just the nature of the game.

It sounds like I need to make another phone call. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

They overstepped their bounds, they justified it to themselves, and they hid it from you when they didn't call to let you know what happened. Dog hunters or not, I'm not sure they are exhibiting traits from people I want on my property.

They overstepped their bounds, they justified it to themselves, and they hid it from you when they didn't call to let you know what happened. Dog hunters or not, I'm not sure they are exhibiting traits from people I want on my property.
That is actually a very good way to look at the situation.

There is a road between, u can stop the dogs than. We do it all the time. Not saying it always happens, but most of the time u can catch them

This is why I don't like hounds men.

I've never met one that cares about a property line. They may be out there, but I've never met them.

It starts with coyotes in January, then when your not there it's bears in September and before you know it they will be trying to drive it during rifle season for deer. It happened to me, I was too nice the first time I caught them and it got progressively worse. If you have the right person predator population control is good, but they better tow the line!

b21a6bcd97d29b91edb30230d324f7c2.jpg

Thank you Foggy! I just got done working around the clock on this snow storm and that is the first time I have laughed in a couple days. F the groundhog.