Cover crop seed help

ToddG

5 year old buck +
I went to Southern states to purchase my winter rye and they sold me a seed called Rymin Rye cover crop. They said it is the same thing. Anyone else heard of this.
Thanks,

From what I saw on the interwebs you should be fine. It's just a particular variety of rye. Most of what I use is VNS so it's pretty darn cheap, but for feeding deer I really don't care.

From what I saw on the interwebs you should be fine. It's just a particular variety of rye. Most of what I use is VNS so it's pretty darn cheap, but for feeding deer I really don't care.
Thanks for the help. I didn't want to screw up. A lot of work goes into these plots.

Thanks for the help. I didn't want to screw up. A lot of work goes into these plots.
Typically as long as it is rye (winter rye, cereal rye, rye grain) your fine......what you want to stay away from is ryegrass, and if who you are getting it from isn't sure which one it is....go someplace else!

Typically as long as it is rye (winter rye, cereal rye, rye grain) your fine......what you want to stay away from is ryegrass, and if who you are getting it from isn't sure which one it is....go someplace else!

I do agree with this. One of my first plots I put in had some high sugar rye grass in it. I put the mixture in about a quarter of one of my plots. To this day I have a great crop of high sugar rye grass growing in that part of the plot that I cant kill. I have sprayed it, and tilled it. It comes back like a blanket. But, I will say this stuff hasnt spread, and the deer do eat it. If I had a spot that had issues with erosion, I think I would be putting some of the high sugar ryegrass down. But I would never put it on my food plot again on purpose.

I went to Southern states to purchase my winter rye and they sold me a seed called Rymin Rye cover crop. They said it is the same thing. Anyone else heard of this.
Thanks,

You are probably fine. Check the seed tag. "Cover crop" when used with winter rye usually means VNS winter rye. The Rymin Rye is probably a brand name.

My southern states coop sells both Aburizzi Rye and VNS winter rye cover crop. You never know what brand name if any the VNS rye has on it. What I have been doing lately is going in and talking to the manager in the summer. My coop usually has left over VNS winter rye from last year. He sells it to me at a substantial discount. This year I got 7 50 lb bags for $10/bag. The regular price was $18 last year. The price varies a couple bucks each year based on supply.

Thanks,

jack