All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corn and bean plot update

I’m planning to cut out the middle, particularly the area that’s within bow range of that blind that in the field. This field sees lots of daylight activity as it is, but I’m hoping the corn cover increases the activity even more.
i think this is your winner

Thoughts on shooting lanes spoking out from the blind? That way there aren't any "wide open" areas they may not want to access?

I think the section cut out in the middle is a good option too, still an interior portion surrounded by cover.

For what another opinion is worth.. :emoji_grin:
If you could see the field from above you’d see why spokes aren’t really in the cards for this spot. It’s kind of an L shaped field. The blind is in the bend of the L. Just trying to gather them down in that area :emoji_sunglasses:

Ended up not trying to overseed the corn. It’s looking really good. I walked about 4 rows in and all the stalls have at least one big ear and a second that’s about 1/2 formed. Not sure what’s normal to get per stalk? The corn was planted late (July) so I’m hoping those second ears that are coming in will develop a bit more since the corn is still green. I’m assuming it’ll finish growing and start to dry down later this month. My plan is to mow chunk out of the middle of the corn in mid to late October, then mow another 1/3 in late November to early December and finally mow the rest in January.

The beans got hammered. I’m definitely not going to be able to grow beans without a fence. 3.5 acres that I had the farmer double the population on when he planted. Lots of little “stumps” in a row, but most of them have a dozen or two pods on them. Overseeded with wheat, radishes and turnips. I think this will turn out to be a nice plot in early to mid fall. Last year my beans looked even more rough that these and the deer still hammered them till they were gone in mid November.

Attachments

• 378B36E0-0D55-4D87-8EBD-BC428477A0F0.jpeg
    378B36E0-0D55-4D87-8EBD-BC428477A0F0.jpeg
    715.4 KB · Views: 24
  • CBB9F0B5-FC73-4A16-B1C7-FAD130E74672.jpeg
    CBB9F0B5-FC73-4A16-B1C7-FAD130E74672.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 24
Some hybrids are more apt to shoot a 2nd ear, especially when the population is low enough. In production ag, you don't really want 2 ears per stalk, and they will usually abort if the population is adequate. In your case, it'll definitely be nice to get partial ears on those 2nd ones. You'll get some grain from them.

Some hybrids are more apt to shoot a 2nd ear, especially when the population is low enough. In production ag, you don't really want 2 ears per stalk, and they will usually abort if the population is adequate. In your case, it'll definitely be nice to get partial ears on those 2nd ones. You'll get some grain from them.
Interesting, thanks. I always assumed the more ears the better, but maybe the more ears the smaller the size/quality? Honestly don’t know enough about actual ag farming. I was curious to see what I had. Sounds like my corn is doing what it’s supposed to be doing.

Farmers here get 3 per stalk on a regular basis.

Huh. Must be a here thing. I'd be curious to know what pop they're planting to support 3 ears and with that thin of a pop, how's their weed control. Definitely don't see that around here, except the plants at the end of the row or standing alone.

Reactions: DJN
I figured by now they would have some kind of hybrid that could grow more ears per stalk---3 doesn't seem like much.

This year they were getting $9.00 a dozen for sweet corn. That was the most expensive but it was also the best tasting.

I plant my corn at 29,628 plants per acre according to the book in 30" rows. That gives me a spacing of 7" between each plant. Every 2,000 plants per acre changes the spacing by about 1/2". So 32,000 plants per acre gives me a spacing of about 6.5" between plants. 34,000 plants per acre spaces corn about 6" apart in 30" rows. Almost everyone around me plants 34-38,000 plants per acre cause they think more plants equals more yield, but its pure foolishness. I think it means unhealthy plants, puny cobs, small kernels, weak stalks, and premature death of their plants.

I DO NOT want multiple ears. I want one healthy ear, even spacing, even height and corn plants that are still alive with good ear retention at black layer. I see some hybrids throw multiple ears, but eventually the primary ear will cannibalize it and only the primary ear is worth something. The only places that I see two ears are places where the population was too low and the remaining stand is trying to make up for its missing neighbors. For me this is usually along woods were deer and coons thin the stand or on headlands where the sprayer or topdress buggy runs down corn and the population is lowered.

You will get the most out of modern corn with ONLY one ear per plant. The healthier the plant the bigger the ear. The ears in this picture from a few days ago average about 15 oz each. Those are some phenomenal ear weights. If you are seeing doubles and triples when the corn is mature you didnt plant heavy enough or your stand was thinned down by animals.

IMG_0027[1].JPG

I plant my corn at 29,628 plants per acre according to the book in 30" rows. That gives me a spacing of 7" between each plant. Every 2,000 plants per acre changes the spacing by about 1/2". So 32,000 plants per acre gives me a spacing of about 6.5" between plants. 34,000 plants per acre spaces corn about 6" apart in 30" rows. Almost everyone around me plants 34-38,000 plants per acre cause they think more plants equals more yield, but its pure foolishness. I think it means unhealthy plants, puny cobs, small kernels, weak stalks, and premature death of their plants.

I DO NOT want multiple ears. I want one healthy ear, even spacing, even height and corn plants that are still alive with good ear retention at black layer. I see some hybrids throw multiple ears, but eventually the primary ear will cannibalize it and only the primary ear is worth something. The only places that I see two ears are places where the population was too low and the remaining stand is trying to make up for its missing neighbors. For me this is usually along woods were deer and coons thin the stand or on headlands where the sprayer or topdress buggy runs down corn and the population is lowered.

You will get the most out of modern corn with ONLY one ear per plant. The healthier the plant the bigger the ear. The ears in this picture from a few days ago average about 15 oz each. Those are some phenomenal ear weights. If you are seeing doubles and triples when the corn is mature you didnt plant heavy enough or your stand was thinned down by animals.

View attachment 31760
Yep, one good ear is what farmers want. Putting all the energy into one ear is the goal.

View attachment 31760
Now I’m mad. I’m going to have to call my farmer and tell him I want to return all the 2nd 1/2 ears developing on these stalks. I demand a refund :)
Those ears look great! I’m going to have to peel some back in a few weeks and get some pics so you guys can “rate my corn”. Hopefully it receives I high rating by my deer!

Farmers around here get over 250 BPA. I have never seen a cornstalk with 1 ear. Most have 2-3 ears. I am not a farmer but one ear seems strange to me.

Imagine being the guy that creates a hybrid corn with SEVERAL quality ears. cha ching!