Connecting cuddylink to wifi or internet to receive pics?

when running a cuddelink network regardless if its cellular or not all transmitted images are low rez.His res images are on each cameras card when needed. Jac has never even used cuddelink but he loves to comment on its limitations. He has his own reasons for needing high res images. With his vast knowledge of all things, its interesting that somehow he cant figure out how to place his cameras to get quality images that can identify the animals with a low res pic. I guess we all have our struggles, even Jac.
What a complete mischaracterization. Camera placement should be a function of the application. In a situation where you are either doing data collection for QDM decisions or doing research where you don't want to influence the subjects normal movements, you are limited on camera placement. In both cases, you need a system that can run unattended for 24/7/365 without failures that cause data loss. For my QDM data collection application, the last thing I want to do is to use bait piles which is the common technique used for folks with low resolution cameras or short PIR ranges.

The system I use covers all of those areas. With a long narrow PIR, I have detections at 60 yards with very few false triggers and I've posted pictures of these on the forum. It sends pictures at full resolution far greater distances while running 24/7/365 with solar panels. It allows the user to configure the transmission paths rather than using an automatic network configuration. This is not a plug-n-play for the user, but it allows the user to size solar capacity properly for repeater cameras that carry more load. With a dynamic self-configuring network, the routing can change on its own and thus the loading on each camera.

John has no idea what I do professionally or what my experience level is with RF transmission and communication systems. John does have a thread on here where he is constantly trying to help Cuddelink owners solve all kinds of problems with their systems. I applaud him for that. As for the cuddie link system, and I've said this before, I'm glad to see it in the market place and it is a good fit for some applications. It has its place, but it is not a good fit for all applications. Like most things we do, it is a matter of finding the tool that best fits your application. When I talk about game camera systems, I talk about the characteristics and limitations of each system both good and bad, so folks can better decide what fits them..

Thanks,

Jack

What a complete mischaracterization. Camera placement should be a function of the application. In a situation where you are either doing data collection for QDM decisions or doing research where you don't want to influence the subjects normal movements, you are limited on camera placement. In both cases, you need a system that can run unattended for 24/7/365 without failures that cause data loss. For my QDM data collection application, the last thing I want to do is to use bait piles which is the common technique used for folks with low resolution cameras or short PIR ranges.

The system I use covers all of those areas. With a long narrow PIR, I have detections at 60 yards with very few false triggers and I've posted pictures of these on the forum. It sends pictures at full resolution far greater distances while running 24/7/365 with solar panels. It allows the user to configure the transmission paths rather than using an automatic network configuration. This is not a plug-n-play for the user, but it allows the user to size solar capacity properly for repeater cameras that carry more load. With a dynamic self-configuring network, the routing can change on its own and thus the loading on each camera.

John has no idea what I do professionally or what my experience level is with RF transmission and communication systems. John does have a thread on here where he is constantly trying to help Cuddelink owners solve all kinds of problems with their systems. I applaud him for that. As for the cuddie link system, and I've said this before, I'm glad to see it in the market place and it is a good fit for some applications. It has its place, but it is not a good fit for all applications. Like most things we do, it is a matter of finding the tool that best fits your application. When I talk about game camera systems, I talk about the characteristics and limitations of each system both good and bad, so folks can better decide what fits them..

Thanks,

Jack
Cuddelink can cover everything you describe above ,(without Bait) other than sending Hi res images. and when needed, it still stores hi res images that can be retrieved. I'm personally doing what you describe your system is doing myself and research scientists throughout the world are as well, and they are studying specific animals they dont want to influence in much more detail than you or I study whitetails.

I have a dealer who has the system you brag about on the same 600 acre parcel as a cuddelink system running and its obvious which system provides more quality images , is more reliable, more portable and helpful for the ultimate goal. My systems run 24/7 / 365 on solar as well and on top of it they are more portable and less obtrusive than the system you describe. I dont care how high the resolution is , at 60 yards with any commercially available digital game camera your image quality is not well defined enough make 100% id possible.

AGAIN , you have NEVER used a cuddelink system yet you feel the need to continually tell others that its inferior for applications. Unlike you, I have real life experience using all of them, including the system you tout as superior. There are design specs on cuddelink that are not public knowledge and no matter what your background is you would not know what those are even IF you used them. There are multiple patents granted to the Cuddeback that make it even more unique than the system you tout.

You have no idea what my background is either. There is a great number of members on this page with real world experience helping each other every day, ive learned much from many of them. That said , unlike you ....you wont find me commenting or giving opinions on any product , service, habitat method or application that i dont have direct experience doing myself. Doing so is a disservice to the rest of the members who come here to both help and look for help from others.

Cuddelink can cover everything you describe above ,(without Bait) other than sending Hi res images. and when needed, it still stores hi res images that can be retrieved. I'm personally doing what you describe your system is doing myself and research scientists throughout the world are as well, and they are studying specific animals they dont want to influence in much more detail than you or I study whitetails.

I have a dealer who has the system you brag about on the same 600 acre parcel as a cuddelink system running and its obvious which system provides more quality images , is more reliable, more portable and helpful for the ultimate goal. My systems run 24/7 / 365 on solar as well and on top of it they are more portable and less obtrusive than the system you describe. I dont care how high the resolution is , at 60 yards with any commercially available digital game camera your image quality is not well defined enough make 100% id possible.

AGAIN , you have NEVER used a cuddelink system yet you feel the need to continually tell others that its inferior for applications. Unlike you, I have real life experience using all of them, including the system you tout as superior. There are design specs on cuddelink that are not public knowledge and no matter what your background is you would not know what those are even IF you used them. There are multiple patents granted to the Cuddeback that make it even more unique than the system you tout.

You have no idea what my background is either. There is a great number of members on this page with real world experience helping each other every day, ive learned much from many of them. That said , unlike you ....you wont find me commenting or giving opinions on any product , service, habitat method or application that i dont have direct experience doing myself. Doing so is a disservice to the rest of the members who come here to both help and look for help from others.

Retrieving images manually from SD card completely defeats the functionality of the system. What a COMPLETE misunderstand of the application as well. No system can every give 100% identification of deer. Some deer simply won't present a view that allows identification. It is about what percentage of deer that can be identified with a low resolution decimated thumbnail compared to full resoluiton pictures.

As far as background goes, I never questioned yours. You did question mine. You really are sounding more and more like a marketer for Cuddelink. While cuddelink does have its place, it would be an extremely POOR choice for my application. It would hugely increase the manhours required and hugely reduce the quality of data collected.

Keep promoting Cudde all you like suggesting it can do everything for everyone. I'm a happy to help folks discussing the technology and how the strengths and weaknesses of each system might apply to different applications.

Retrieving images manually from SD card completely defeats the functionality of the system. What a COMPLETE misunderstand of the application as well. No system can every give 100% identification of deer. Some deer simply won't present a view that allows identification. It is about what percentage of deer that can be identified with a low resolution decimated thumbnail compared to full resoluiton pictures.

As far as background goes, I never questioned yours. You did question mine. You really are sounding more and more like a marketer for Cuddelink. While cuddelink does have its place, it would be an extremely POOR choice for my application. It would hugely increase the manhours required and hugely reduce the quality of data collected.

Keep promoting Cudde all you like suggesting it can do everything for everyone. I'm a happy to help folks discussing the technology and how the strengths and weaknesses of each system might apply to different applications.
I am marketer for Cuddeback and i also dont oversell or undersell what it can do. i can accomplish everything you can with your system with a lower monetary investment. I dont care if its population surveys, patterning, sex /age ratios or specific animal ID., you can keep going back to the need for hi res images and Cuddelink being a poor choice but give us both the same funds, the same size property and the same time window and i can do everything you can with a lower investment and less time and less headache . Again, ive used both, you have not , until you do, your argument isnt valid in my mind.

Update from today: I was able to maintain a open connection between my Cuddelink home 1385 and my PC. My status report came through right on time. If it wasn't raining today I would go pull a camera and test receiving pics but the main thing is I have a steady connection between my Home and PC. I have the home connected to an AC power supply and my Spypoint cell link cable running to a USB adapter feeding my laptop:
Screenshot_20220319-120527_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Now I just want to test receiving pics from a camera and make sure they are being received by my PC and then figure out a OneDrive folder or something like that.

I am marketer for Cuddeback and i also dont oversell or undersell what it can do. i can accomplish everything you can with your system with a lower monetary investment. I dont care if its population surveys, patterning, sex /age ratios or specific animal ID., you can keep going back to the need for hi res images and Cuddelink being a poor choice but give us both the same funds, the same size property and the same time window and i can do everything you can with a lower investment and less time and less headache . Again, ive used both, you have not , until you do, your argument isnt valid in my mind.
Your previous post is a prime example of your oversell. That is the nice thing about this forum. Folks can read arguments from marketers, as well as others and judge for themselves what weight to give each post. Of course you don't buy any of my arguments, they don't promote Cuddelink for all applications.

Update from today: I was able to maintain a open connection between my Cuddelink home 1385 and my PC. My status report came through right on time. If it wasn't raining today I would go pull a camera and test receiving pics but the main thing is I have a steady connection between my Home and PC. I have the home connected to an AC power supply and my Spypoint cell link cable running to a USB adapter feeding my laptop:
View attachment 41907

Now I just want to test receiving pics from a camera and make sure they are being received by my PC and then figure out a OneDrive folder or something like that.
Great! Keep us posted on how things go.

View attachment 41907

Just curious. Was adding the external power to the 1385 home camera what made the difference, or did you do something else different that allowed the connection to stay open?

Just curious. Was adding the external power to the 1385 home camera what made the difference, or did you do something else different that allowed the connection to stay open?
It seems to work on battery too but I can't imagine how long the batteries in the home would last with a constant draw. I don't know if the PC is supplying the power or if it's the home unit. It might have been the new adapter I tried but it's working for now.

It seems to work on battery too but I can't imagine how long the batteries in the home would last with a constant draw. I don't know if the PC is supplying the power or if it's the home unit. It might have been the new adapter I tried but it's working for now.
Awesome! That's a huge win. And if it proves stable I sure others that do not have, or want to avoid, cellular will want to copy your efforts.

If I was not already invested in, happy, and comfortable with my cellular setup - I would be looking to copy.

Keep us informed as to how it does over time. I think there are lots of folks that would appreciate that capability.

I have recently started transferring my Cuddelink pics from my Home unit to an old dedicated Windows 10 tablet and then syncing to Google Drive. This is totally handsfree. At the point the pics hit Google Drive, they can be viewed by anyone with access to those folders and the Google Drive app on their phone, tablet or computer. If you look at the thread "Cuddeback's Cuddelink" posts #965, #974 and #1572 by meshberg2, those modifications to the sniffer card allow you to supply continous power to the Toshiba FlashAir card so it will keep its wifi powered. I am using the Daiken ST-SD extender card instead of the Sparkfun card but they serve the same purpose. Once you modify the card to be continuously powered and configure the FlashAir card for internet pass-thru, disable the auto-timeout and define your local router SSID and password, you can map the card as a network drive in your Windows PC. Its not hard to do, once you understand the features of the Toshiba Flashair card. I use Google Drive to store my pictures because of speed and 15gb of free storage, but you could use Amazon Photos, DropBox or some other cloud based service. If you try to do this, it is imperative that you use a Toshiba FlashAir Version W-03 or Version W-04 card. Earlier version cards don't have then functionality you need. PS, these cards are no longer made, so Ebay is your best source. Some people are asking ridiculous prices, so be patient when bidding.

Last edited: