Clothing...Oldies but goodies

Red Picqua

5 year old buck +
Bill got me thinking on another post.. Let's hear about some of your old hunting clothes that you have hanging around that you still use.

1. I have a Gore Tex camo coat that is 31 or 32 years old.
2. Pair of Danner boots that are 25 years old. Don't wear them all the time, but when I do lace them up they fit like a glove.
3. Pair of hunting socks that my mother in law knit, 30 years old.
4. Long Johns that are 25 years old and still fit mind you!!
5. I have another Gore Tex camo coat and bibs that are 25 years old.

I agree some things just were made to last. I have some upper pieces that have lasted a long time. Bottoms eventually meet a barbed wire fence around here and their lives are cut tragically short (pun intended). :emoji_smile: I snagged a barb wire fence I was crosssing a couple of nights ago and put a 6" tear down the front of one leg, those bibs are only a year old. I will try and fix them at the close of season but my clothing repair skills never seem to be adequate.

I have a Winona camo fleece vest that I bought new in 1987. It fit well, then it didn’t fit for a while, now it fits again! Perfect under a wind blocking layer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have quite a few pieces of 20 year old mountain biking clothes that ended up in my hunting rotation. Nice warm layers. My favorite was a pair of winter riding gloves. Great for handling a rifle with just enough insulation. But those finally got a couple holes in the fingers and i retired them last year. Next to replace is my camelbak day pack with a hunting pack.

My favorite is a set I need to get back into. 20 lbs less and I could.

It's pants and jacket from the late 80's
Wool and gortex. What a combination. wind proof, warm and waterproof.

I don't like this new fleece stuff. To bulky and the wind blows right through it.

Best long johns I own are midweight dufold Merlino wool from that same time period. The elastic is shot but there still warm.

Green wool hunting pants. I've got 4 pairs - 2 of them had so many miles of walking that the insides of the crotches wore through. I bought the first pairs when hunting Maine in the mid-80's. Also a wool, red & black plaid hunting coat I've had for 25 years. It's still in good shape. These are COLD weather hunting clothes.

I have fleece Predator camo for fall archery hunting. It's about 22 years old or so. I bought a new pair of camo pants 4 years ago, but while they were hanging on the front porch of our cabin, a bear came in and chewed holes in the one leg. He drug them off into the side yard and left them there. They're a good souvenir now !!

I've got some old Mossy Oak tree bark flannel shirts that I still wear that I have had forever, and I am still sporting my old Advantage Wetlands camo that worked perfect for my hunting area.

I've got a pair of LL Bean Maine hunting boots I bought in 1987 that I still use...they have been resoled twice. I also have my original TreBark camo turkey hunting vest that I bought in the late 80's. Still fit into it and it still does the job. Love that old retro TreBark camo.

Some of you need to eat a sandwich. I don't fit into much that I wore 30 years ago!

:emoji_astonished:

-John

I must be getting old! You guys are talking about "Gore-Tex" and "fleece" and "camo" as your old stuff. All those things I still consider to be my "new" stuff because I've only had it for 30 years or so. I guess I have turned into my father.

Cool thread.
I have a pair of red plaid wool pants with original suspenders I wore when I started rifle (hunting) at age 11 back in the 70's. They're too thin, and way to small, for use now.
I have an old wool jacket I wore back in the 80's, also too small now.
A few red plaid wool shirts I got in Canada when we went on family fishing trips.
I have 2 pair of wool mittens I use as inserts in my choppers for real cold days. My grandmother, RIP, knitted them right off the sheep back in the 70's.
I have, I believe, 6 pair of wool socks also knitted by said grandmother.
Man has yet to come up with something better than wool. It's heavy, but the warmest thing out there.
I have a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter boots I bought when I was 21 years old. They were a little over a hundo then. My Dad thought I was crazy for spending all that money on boots. They've had some work done but are still serviceable.
I've got a few duck and goose calls from the 80's and 3 or 4 dozen rubber inflatable duck decoys from the same era.
I still have the Browning recurve I started bowhunting with at age 12.
Homemade climber I made in HS.
Bunch of steal and paper deer tags from back in the day. A few steal goose tags also.
Buck knife I got for xmas when I was 11.
Leather shell holder also from xmas when I was 12.
An RCBS reloader and dies from the 60's. From my Dad.
A MEC 12 ga. reloader from the late 60's or early 70's. Also from my Dad.

There's probably more but you get the idea.

Set of paper-thin coveralls my Mom made for me in the early 90s using cheap fabric that was likely the only camo pattern the local fabric store had. Deer pictured is the first buck I ever harvested. Not the most complicated pattern ever created, but at the time I was hunting out of climbing stands and the pattern fit in fairly well against bark on the trees I hunted from.

175 Deer.jpg

John, post #9 - Natty and I hunt where there's mountains. Take a few trips up & down some mountains and the pounds will melt right off.

Plus Natty and I are just naturally muscular and fit !!! :emoji_wink: And humble.

Set of paper-thin coveralls my Mom made for me in the early 90s using cheap fabric that was likely the only camo pattern the local fabric store had. Deer pictured is the first buck I ever harvested. Not the most complicated pattern ever created, but at the time I was hunting out of climbing stands and the pattern fit in fairly well against bark on the trees I hunted from.

View attachment 15698
that just brought back some memories from the hard drive! yikes... I remember when I was 13 or 14 and my mom measuring me at Joann Fabrics for a lightweight camo shirt/jacket. I remember the camo pattern being not very common and looking something like that. Wow that really unlocked a memory that I had totally forgotten. I also remember my mom shopping with me at a Woolworth store and I was trying on a "Trebark" jacket. I remember her looking at the seams and the material as it was what she called fuzzy and different. On that same trip to Woolworth there was an archery section and I bought my first facemask.