Clearing some ground for future orchard

I'm planting a huge variety of apples with a focus on disease resistant varieties. You'd have to check out my Grafting Adventures thread for a full list I grafted around 125 trees this spring and it's a vast list, too many to name here.

Pines don't cause any issues to my knowledge. As for cedars, we have quite a few around, not tons like we do jack pines but we have plenty of cedars. I've only seen cedar rust on one of my trees during one year of the 4 years i've been growing up there. It was on a Goldrush tree in 2011, again thats the only time i've seen it on our place. It was very minor at that. That's also not to say it can't or won't be an issue in the future. So far it has not been a problem and I do very minimal spraying. I try my hardest not to spray but sometimes you just have to. I sprayed about 10 days ago because I had tent caterpillars on 2 of my 50 trees. I sprayed all my trees to try and stay ahead of it.

june25-2011-car.JPG

If you have concerns for cedars there are plenty of trees that have good resistance to rust. Liberty and Enterprise pretty much lead the way in that category. Pristine is a good early apple that is resistant. Freedom, Wolf River and Black Oxford also seem to have some good resistance. You can also consider crabapples like Chestnut, Dolgo and Whitney.

Ed ... Thanks! Of those varieties, which might be late season variety?

Ed ... Thanks! Of those varieties, which might be late season variety?

Liberty and Enterprise. These are the best 2 deer apples around.

They pretty much have the best disease resistance around. Liberty is the easiest to train, it's natural growth habits are spreading (rather than vertical). Both are late maturing & dropping apples. In my opinion those should be the foundation of every wildlife orchard Zone 4 or Higher. Zone 3 or lower you might have problems with those varieties from a hardiness standpoint.

Thanks Ed ...