All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning a Snapping Turtle Shell?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Found a pretty large snapping turtle yesterday on the side of the road. Looked like a card hit it but the shell is pretty good shape. It is about 16"-17". Would like to clean out and save the shell.

Thought about burying similar to a European skull and like the bugs do the work.

Also thought about submerging in the pond and let the fish clean it out.

Anyone have any experience or methods they have used?

If you have a nice ant hill handy, let them take care of it for you.

No ant hill that I know of. Here he is, looks like a car ran over the front edge of his shell and crushed his head. Shell measured 15".

IMG_20170423_085235.jpg

I'm sorry but I am so sick of seeing people hit these things. I mean come on how hard is it to miss a snapping turtle. Also, most of these are females looking to lay eggs. I don't mean to sound like a whiner but it just pisses me off. Sorry to derail the thread. Rant off.

Yeah I've stopped and helped more than a couple across the road this time of year over where I live. By my land also have what locally we call pine snakes but actually some sort of fox snake soaking up some road heat this time of year. They get a pass since they are mouse eating critters

Reactions: Tap
So spud what will you do with the shell ?

Your best bet is going to cut as much out of it out of the shell as possible. Then you can let mother nature do her thing with, bugs, worms or otherwise. If you know of a place that does euro mounts with bugs they should be able to help you as well. If you just want the top shell......you can cut the "hinge" between the upper and lower shell between the front and rear legs. This portion of the shell is the thinnest and thus you should be able to cut thru it. This is what we do to get to the meat for an eat'n turtle. Then again cut and cut and cut to remove as much of the flesh and the like as possible. Use a VERY sharp knife as you will need it because that shell and that skin is tough stuff!

We have no shortage of snappers around here.....and they are good eat'n as well. My grandfather would stop by every one if they where big enough and toss it in the truck. Some of them get big....real big.

I found a box turtle in March 2 years ago while I was hunting sheds. I thought it was still coming out of hibernation because it still looked perfect. I thought maybe it was just cold and slow but I wasn't quite sure, so I took it home and set it outside for a few warm days...it was dead. I just left it there for a few months and the bugs, flies, maggots, ants, took care of it...clean as a whistle and now part of my collection of stuff that freaks-out some people that visit my man-cave... heads, skulls, hides, old traps, and all sorts of stuff. Some folks just don't understand, and ya can't 'splain it to 'em.

Now THAT'S a turtle! My cousin caught this one. I'd hate to get bit by that one.
downsized950717001332.jpg

Holy crap that thing must be ancient :emoji_astonished:

I had to clean the snapper Sunday am ... figured he was dead for 24 hours prior.

Wow ... was his skin tough, sharpened my knife and it was like cutting through leather (note the tree pruners). I saved his front paws as they were like warrior weapons to me ... this was one tough beast in my opinion. Had to give up on cleaning once the flys discovered us.

The ironic thing was on Friday, I pulled one off the road and put him/her back in the marsh/woods to save their dumb ass. To me, killing something is not about the joy of taking down something defenseless. For someone to run one over is just stupid.

Right now I have placed his shell on a cider block surrounded by a fire pit cage and under a cover. I have read that you should salt or through borax on the insides to promote removal of moisture. have not done that. At this point, any ants, flys, and other deconstructors will be having their way with the shell.

I am not a redneck by nature, but am fascinated by all creatures ... this was an old boy that lived a life.

Any thoughts or ideas on preserving or restoring ideas would be appreciated.

IMG_20170423_092400.jpg

IMG_20170423_092450.jpg

If you get one fresh they are great to eat!

One of the most surreal experiences I had growing up was seeing a HUGE alligator snapping turtle.

My parents home site had two ponds with a dam between them that was about 70 yards down hill from / visible from the house. One summer day I looked outside and couldn't believe my eyes. An alligator snapping turtle TREMENDOUSLY larger than any I had ever seen before was crossing the dam, and I'd seen quite a few trapped ranging between 20 to 50 pounds.

I ran to the pond to look at it, and the thing that most shocked me about it was the size of its head. As clearly as if it happened today I can remember the turtle's head being every bit as big as an adult human head. I then remember being struck with how prehistoric / dinosaur like it seemed due to both its size and general nature. Finally, I had a deep appreciation that I was looking at a creature that had FAR more years under its belt than I did (I was in my late teens at the time).

Mostly glad that cell phone cameras were NOT around to record youthful shenanigans but really wish I had been able to get photos of the beast. Found this video of one that weighs in at 200lbs and sincerely believe the one I saw was every bit as big if not even a tad bit bigger.

Reactions: Tap
Once the bugs and the like have removed the flesh there is no need for salt or borax. I have seen some folks put a layer of varnish on the shell to give it a gloss - if that is what your after. The claws and the like will/may need the salt/borax.

I made a nice turkey call from a box turtle shell and piece of slate from a barn roof. My dad did some art work on it...A gobbler on it. Turned out nice and sounds pretty good, too.
I'll post a pic tomorrow.
I've seen some native American type stuff made from snapping turtle shells.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Once the bugs and the like have removed the flesh there is no need for salt or borax. I have seen some folks put a layer of varnish on the shell to give it a gloss - if that is what your after. The claws and the like will/may need the salt/borax.

That is what I was thinking. I will get a chance to check on it this weekend to see what progress has been made.

I made a nice turkey call from a box turtle shell and piece of slate from a barn roof. My dad did some art work on it...A gobbler on it. Turned out nice and sounds pretty good, too.
I'll post a pic tomorrow.
I've seen some native American type stuff made from snapping turtle shells.

Here's the turkey call. Sorry for the blurry pics.
Turtle shell call.jpg turtle shell bottom.jpg

We have made clocks out of some big ones.

Sweet call Tap!

We have made clocks out of some big ones.

Sweet call Tap!
Thanks. It was a gift to my brother. My sister now has it after my brother passed away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tap that Turkey call from the box turtle shell is beautiful