Chlorosis in oaks

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Is it a feasible endevour?

I have a pH of 7.3 with flood irrigation.

I bought some potted pin oaks, and a few ( not all) SWO show signs.

The scarlet oak seedlings are not growing very much at all.

But so far the silver and red maples show no signs of chlorosis.

I am going to try iron ite granular and sulur mix and drill holes around drip line and water it in this fall.

Thanks

Is it a feasible endevour?

I have a pH of 7.3 with flood irrigation.

I bought some potted pin oaks, and a few ( not all) SWO show signs.

The scarlet oak seedlings are not growing very much at all.

But so far the silver and red maples show no signs of chlorosis.

I am going to try iron ite granular and sulur mix and drill holes around drip line and water it in this fall.

Thanks
I drilled a filled holes with garden sulfur and ironite for a soft maple in my yard and finally cut it down the other day my attempts to save my maple where in vain.

It should be chelated iron for dealing with iron chlorosis .... otherwise, the tree has difficulty picking it up

I read that chelated iron struggles in a basic environment. There was a product with ferric sulfate but was a folia’s application recommended

Some iron chelates can be used as a soil treatment; however, the effect is temporary (one year) and chelates are relatively expensive. Check label instructions for application guidelines. The only chelate that works well under high pH soil conditions is one containing the FeEDDHA molecule (Table 2). All other chelates currently on the market are ineffective at pH greater than 7.2 and therefore are not very effective as soil treatments in much of Utah.

not my words a article from Utah.

it claims that silver maple is highly susceptible to chlorosis, yet other articles claim it can live in alkaline soil?

I have high natural soil pH at my place 7.5 - and a number of my plants show chlorosis. I have never seen much success with a variety of products I have tried.

I have high natural soil pH at my place 7.5 - and a number of my plants show chlorosis. I have never seen much success with a variety of products I have tried.
How “ stunted” if any is noticeable in those showing chlorosis.

what I mean is it even a performance problem?

thanks

How “ stunted” if any is noticeable in those showing chlorosis.

what I mean is it even a performance problem?

thanks
I see a fair bit of chlorosis in my muscadines and they do great. Some chlorosis in my apple trees - and they only do so-so - but there may be other factors affecting them. I didnt have a single loblolly pine tree - out of 15,000 - live more than three years after planting. I think it affects different trees in different ways.

Sounds like you need to plant some oaks that can deal with the high ph and drought. Bur, chinkapin (?), burgambel, bur hybrids, chestnut oak.

The bur hybrid, the sawtooth, and the maple trees don’t show any yellowing.

It has been really good water year. So overwatering may be involved.

But I am going to avoid acid loving trees as much as possible in future.