Chicory for the fall.

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
Looking to finally plant some logging road. Going to try chicory/clover mix. Mainly looking for it as a fall/winter attractant. Would I be best planting in the spring for the fall or plant it in August like say brassicas. Haven’t used it yet so I’m looking for input. Thanks.

The only experience I have with planting clover/chicory in the spring is by frost seeding it into a brassica plot from the year before. When I did that we happened to get several nice soaking rains and it came up thick with not much in the way as far as weeds are concerned. I'm located in S.E. MN. Every other clover/chicory plot I have planted has been in the fall with a nurse crop of cereal grain(s).

The only experience I have with planting clover/chicory in the spring is by frost seeding it into a brassica plot from the year before. When I did that we happened to get several nice soaking rains and it came up thick with not much in the way as far as weeds are concerned. I'm located in S.E. MN. Every other clover/chicory plot I have planted has been in the fall with a nurse crop of cereal grain(s).
Can you elaborate more on the mix? And when the clover/chicory was planted in comparison to I assume rye grain. The more info you have to share the better. In the passed I’ve done brassica mixes with excellent results. Looking to see how the deer take to chicory in the fall. Thanks again.

And I would assume a fall planting would be intended for fall attraction with chicory. But again I don’t have any experience with it

If you are close to the property and have mowing and tilling equipment you could plant it this spring. When spring planting in my area farmers use oats as a nurse crop. Mow the oats off after they have fully matured the longer they stand the more weed suppression they will offer. Mow it off again around September 1 and you will be good to go for the first year.

A fall planting would generally be advised because of weed competition and has nothing to do with fall attraction. In the case of planting wooded trails you would probably be better off in the spring though because there will be more available sunlight due to the fact that the trees aren't full of leaves. I also doubt you will have a problem with grass competition on wooded trails.

I like medium red and jumbo ladino for clovers and oasis for the chicory.

I certainly feel as though weed competition will be a non issue. The forest is mature. The property is a recent purchase. Since purchase I have had a forestor out. He provided a markout after a long conversation of my goals for the property. There is limited understory as of right now. Dominated by mainly beech. I will also be dropping trees along this trail to open the canopy up some. The section i would like to start on basically is shaped like a horseshoe. In the middle of the “shoe” is a seasonal pond which will be worked on once the snowmelt finally ends. It is naturally laid out exceptionally well in relation to access from the main trail as well as bedding (high ridge) with a series of benches. Soil tests will be sent out this week.

So perhaps a first year planting may benefit more from a general blend of seed has been my thinking. Getting a solid growth in general is my goal for this first year. Something to get a root system down and provide organic material. The soil will be amended and improve as years progress obviously.

Are you planting an annual clover or a perennial clover....the chicory is a perennial. As such the chicory is going to focus on growing roots first. Spring planting can be done, but if you get some summer stress the young plants may not survive. Fall planting won't produce much to interest the deer, until the following year, but you increase your chances of success in my opinion. The deer here hammer the chicory come late october/early november for some reason. If you plant in the fall you can also plant cereal grains and brassica to provide some fall food.....just remember your real intent is for next year. Oats and brassica will act as annuals and provide food in the fall and will be dead when your chicory comes to life again in the spring. An annual clover will die as well, where a perennial one will survive and many folks mix perennial clovers and chicory as the chicory like the N the clover produces. Spring planting can also stir up more weed seeds and typically spraying herbicides on young plants is a bad idea for their survival.....fall planting may work the same seeds, but the cooler temps will limit the growth of the weeds in most cases.

Iv been planting most new plots with a mix of white & red clovers , chicory & oats. Been working good so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So then what’s being suggested is a fall planting. Chicory with a cereal grain/brassica/annual clover mix?

I certainly feel as though weed competition will be a non issue. The forest is mature. The property is a recent purchase. Since purchase I have had a forestor out. He provided a markout after a long conversation of my goals for the property. There is limited understory as of right now. Dominated by mainly beech. I will also be dropping trees along this trail to open the canopy up some. The section i would like to start on basically is shaped like a horseshoe. In the middle of the “shoe” is a seasonal pond which will be worked on once the snowmelt finally ends. It is naturally laid out exceptionally well in relation to access from the main trail as well as bedding (high ridge) with a series of benches. Soil tests will be sent out this week.

So perhaps a first year planting may benefit more from a general blend of seed has been my thinking. Getting a solid growth in general is my goal for this first year. Something to get a root system down and provide organic material. The soil will be amended and improve as years progress obviously.

If you want to plant this spring, plant buckwheat and plant winter rye in the fall. Both are good for soil health and will grow in infertile soil with poor pH. Once you amend the soil (as years progress) you can consider crops that are more sensitive to pH and fertility. It takes time for amendments to work. Unless you have very good soils, this is a good approach. If your soil tests show you don't need significant amendments, you can jump right in to whatever works in your area.

Thanks,

Jack