Chestnut trees

Swany

Buck Fawn
I have 4 Chestnut trees and year after year they hang onto some of their old leaves. Not sure if this is some kind of disease. It is middle of July and they still have the dead leaves. Any ideas?
AbejeLxpSSY6B4XuFHMJpLA.jpg

common, mine do it every year... or i should say i believe its common as it happens every year

Looks like those branches are dead?

Looks like those branches are dead?
Yes it does .
I have some that are sun scorched that always hang on through the growing season but those pictured look to be on dead branches. I’ve Noticed If you ever brush in a blind, saw off limbs from any hardwood tree before they start to go dormant and the leaves will stay on longer.

My bad, those do look dead,... I should have looked closer before I commented. On my trees every year there are left over leaves still hanging. These pics are before the tree leafed out this spring I did have some end die back on them which I attribute to our -38 cold spell this winter but they are fully leafed out now. The trees carry those brown leaves into green up.

Attachments

• IMG_4856.JPG
    IMG_4856.JPG
    653.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4857 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4857 - Copy.JPG
    613.8 KB · Views: 14
If the branch had green and brown leaves I would not worry - a branch with only brown leaves.....I would be concerned.

I concur. Chestnuts are known for holding last year's leaves. That does not concern me, but the dead branches do. The fact that the rest of the tree is green and looks good is a plus. I'm not sure if it is a disease or not. I have not seen that with any of my trees. It seems the whole tree dies or it flourishes. If it were me, I would immediately prune those dead branches as soon as possible and burn them. They are not contributing to the tree, and if they do carry some disease, leaving them can't be good.

Thanks,

jack

Thanks for the advice

This Chinese Chestnut just grew leaves towards the base of the tree? Would you guys pull it and replace?

Attachments

• 20190721_160919.jpg
    20190721_160919.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 23
This Chinese Chestnut just grew leaves towards the base of the tree? Would you guys pull it and replace?
NO! Start at the top of what you have and take a knife and poke the pointed end into the wood, what you are looking for is if there is a green cambium layer (which signifies life). Once you find where there is life, cut the tree back to that point. You are trying to remove the dead wood.

Leaves mean the roots are still alive....so the tree may be significantly set back, but it's still alive! The only way I pull the tree is if you feel it's not worth your time for the tree to recover. I had what you describe happen to a persimmons - the grafted whip died. I cut it back and it has grown over a foot just this year already. I have also had a chestnut attacked by deer and really damaged and I did what I describe here and it is bouncing back as well. As long as the roots are alive you have a chance.