All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chestnut, Kerr, dolgo

It is addicting. Do you want a phone number for AA, Apple trees Annonymous?

Just joking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can send the number but I won't call it.
I refuse to get help and I will die with this addiction..... And most of you guys are to blame!

I'm "Franklinless" as well.... I feel so incomplete :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

Im finally starting to see there's a few others out there without Franklin but I still feel so alone!

I have 5. If you want to come hang out with one you can. Just don’t touch it, and I have cameras all over.

I laughed out loud and my kids looked at me like I was weird.... But if I do get pictures of a weird guy about 5'9" with a beard and a camo shirt and camo hat and green lacrosse rubber boots it wasn't me.....

Just got a food plot expanded so we can plant apple trees and have a food plot. Chestnut, Kerr, and Dolgo will be my top 3 trees in this orchard. Hope to plant 10-20 trees depending upon how much room we decide to save for trees vs food plot. If I had my way we’d plant every food plot full of apple trees.

I’m excited to get up there and measure how much area we have to work with! This is apple tree orchard #8 for us!

Attachments

• AD39CB8F-FC9C-4053-99A7-A4E3EFE7C40C.jpeg
    AD39CB8F-FC9C-4053-99A7-A4E3EFE7C40C.jpeg
    868.1 KB · Views: 31
Just got a food plot expanded so we can plant apple trees and have a food plot. Chestnut, Kerr, and Dolgo will be my top 3 trees in this orchard. Hope to plant 10-20 trees depending upon how much room we decide to save for trees vs food plot. If I had my way we’d plant every food plot full of apple trees.

I’m excited to get up there and measure how much area we have to work with! This is apple tree orchard #8 for us!

I need to check a spot where I hope to plant some dolgo (seedling) rootstock. Just got permission from the neighbor to enter from his side of the fence.
5148af5f35e3019b9ccf212290c11612.jpg

I need to check a spot where I hope to plant some dolgo (seedling) rootstock. Just got permission from the neighbor to enter from his side of the fence.
5148af5f35e3019b9ccf212290c11612.jpg

May 25 picture.

Sandbur,
Curious where you source your dolgo rootstock from. I have planted about a doz ranetka rootstock obtained from local conservation club and some have grown really well on my land. Since ranetka has some dolgo in its heritage expect dolgo to do well also. Only dolgo I have was a grafted XL specimen from a nursery which has done ok but not as vigorous as the ranetka. Wondering if starting from a small dolgo seedling can leap ahead in five years like the ranetka has

Sandbur,
Curious where you source your dolgo rootstock from. I have planted about a doz ranetka rootstock obtained from local conservation club and some have grown really well on my land. Since ranetka has some dolgo in its heritage expect dolgo to do well also. Only dolgo I have was a grafted XL specimen from a nursery which has done ok but not as vigorous as the ranetka. Wondering if starting from a small dolgo seedling can leap ahead in five years like the ranetka has

On my soils, dolgo as a rootstock seemed to leap forward faster than ranetka.

Of course, they were planted in different years and from different sources.

Dolgo and probably ranetka rootstock are seedlings, so expect variation in growth from plant to plant.
BlueHills had dolgo rootstock last year. Years ago, I got them through our local SWCD. I suspect those came from Lincolnoakes.

Thx, I was planning on checking blue hills out for next year anyway due to some varieties that members here seem to have contributed. Lincoln oakes is new name to me but expect anything from the dakotas is hardy stock.

I'm still hoping that some seedling variation helps with longer hang times on my ranetka. The first one dropped not long after typical for dolgo but have several more that are bearing this year.

Thx, I was planning on checking blue hills out for next year anyway due to some varieties that members here seem to have contributed. Lincoln oakes is new name to me but expect anything from the dakotas is hardy stock.

I'm still hoping that some seedling variation helps with longer hang times on my ranetka. The first one dropped not long after typical for dolgo but have several more that are bearing this year.

What did ranetka fruit look like and how did it taste? I have one apple on a rootstock that I put Bilodeau on and want to taste the crab.

I suspect it is Ranetka, but could be a seedling or a dolgo rootstock.

Chestnut Crab has had the best growth for me in MN, should see a few apples this year.

What did ranetka fruit look like and how did it taste? I have one apple on a rootstock that I put Bilodeau on and want to taste the crab.

Ranetka fruit is oblong like dolgo, maybe slightly bigger and rounder.

Based on a sample of one ranetka tree, dolgo tastes better. I kinda like dolgo actually, but it's in small amounts. Sorta like a good strong cheese or horseradish if you get my drift.

My interest in ranetka is trying to get longer hang times than dolgo. I confess I like to hunt the feathered rats a lot (turkeys). I read that some can hang into winter well which turkeys could use and keep them in my neighborhood. Not the case with my first bearing tree but will see with others. And if not for the flying rats think of the grouse and chinese chickens....

Planted two bilodeau on antonovka this spring. Love to hear how yours is doing in a few years and get some cider inspiration.

Ranetka fruit is oblong like dolgo, maybe slightly bigger and rounder.

Based on a sample of one ranetka tree, dolgo tastes better. I kinda like dolgo actually, but it's in small amounts. Sorta like a good strong cheese or horseradish if you get my drift.

My interest in ranetka is trying to get longer hang times than dolgo. I confess I like to hunt the feathered rats a lot (turkeys). I read that some can hang into winter well which turkeys could use and keep them in my neighborhood. Not the case with my first bearing tree but will see with others. And if not for the flying rats think of the grouse and chinese chickens....

Planted two bilodeau on antonovka this spring. Love to hear how yours is doing in a few years and get some cider inspiration.

I get lots of variation in hang times of dolgo seedlings. Grafted dolgo is somewhat consistent for earlier drop, but one grafted tree held on to a few apples much later this last year.

I have Buckman Crab marked as a dolgo seedling.

I haven't been to see my trees much this year so they haven't gotten much love. I found this way too loaded Kerr this weekend. I don't normally stake a tree until I start seeing issues. I didn't have time to stake it so I stripped all the apples off and it straightened up alot. I'll check it again in a couple weeks and probably add a stake in hopes it will loaded again next year. I tbudded this one in 2015 on G222 rootstock. I had to pull some fruit off a Dabinett on B118 too that was leaning a bit
.kerr.jpg

My doglo seem to be doing the best this year,I still have a couple that the fruit is the size of a quarter and I haven't seen anything eat them.It seems that I am seeing some of the wildlife trees purchased 15 years ago may be any variety they could get to sell after all most people won't return a grown tree.Same issue trying to get grafted persimmions

I haven't been to see my trees much this year so they haven't gotten much love. I found this way too loaded Kerr this weekend. I don't normally stake a tree until I start seeing issues. I didn't have time to stake it so I stripped all the apples off and it straightened up alot. I'll check it again in a couple weeks and probably add a stake in hopes it will loaded again next year. I tbudded this one in 2015 on G222 rootstock. I had to pull some fruit off a Dabinett on B118 too that was leaning a bit
.View attachment 30941

Wow!

Let those things take root and you'll get a Kerr thicket going.

Kerr is next on my list of crabs. If anyone knows a good source please inform.